Mesa Garden or Oz Lithops

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
pvdw
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Mesa Garden or Oz Lithops

Post by pvdw »

Hi all. I am planing to buy quite a lot of Lithops seeds. All Cole number seeds so nothing special.

In your opinion where would you buy and why?

I know that OL actually put more seeds in a packet than what they say they do but I heard that there quality is very good as well. I have no knolidge of MG. Any help or info welcome.

If I pay MG in USD it will be cheaper for me than paying OL in Auzie$ but cost should come second to falue and quality.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Mesa Garden or Oz Lithops

Post by Aiko »

I have exchanged seeds with the guy from Oz Lithops, a few years back. Nothing bad to say about that, and I got a big load of seeds of the Australian succulent Tecticornia verruculosa (unfortunately not resulting in a full grown plant in my greenhouse). But I also don't really have bad words about Mesa Garden.

For Mesa Garden, be aware the seed list will be updated later this week (assumingly). This will result in a tsunami of orders for them. Especially if you order Lithops and / or Conophytums you run the risk of getting onto the pile of orders that eventually might take months to finish, as it did a year ago due to the huge demand from China and their Lithops and Conophytums craze.

I guess it might depend on the speed you wish to sow, and therefore how long you are willing to wait for an order to arrive. I suspect Oz Lithops will be rather quick.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Maybe of interest to you, if you are not a member already, is the Mesemb Study Group (http://mesemb.org/). The annual seed list also contains a lot of Lithops. The February bulletin will contain the seed list. Prices are even lower, usually about 0.30 or 0.40 GBP for 10 seeds, and a speedy delivery.
jpp13
BCSS Member

Post by jpp13 »

Hi,

For me, as you live in South Africa, I will choose Frik du Plooy. It's the best value for money.

Jean-Pierre
pvdw
Registered Guest

Post by pvdw »

jpp13 wrote:Hi,

For me, as you live in South Africa, I will choose Frik du Plooy. It's the best value for money.

Jean-Pierre
Unfortunatly Frik does not sell a single seed to the local market and does not even speak to any one interested in Lithops. :oops: :shock: We can at least buy back his seeds from over seas suppliers :grin:
jpp13
BCSS Member

Post by jpp13 »

pvdw wrote:
Unfortunatly Frik does not sell a single seed to the local market and does not even speak to any one interested in Lithops. :oops: :shock: We can at least buy back his seeds from over seas suppliers :grin:
We live in a crazy world :cry: :cry:

Are there any other Lithops seed dealers in South Africa? :eek:

Jean-Pierre
pvdw
Registered Guest

Post by pvdw »

jpp13 wrote:
pvdw wrote:
We live in a crazy world :cry: :cry:

Are there any other Lithops seed dealers in South Africa? :eek:

Jean-Pierre
Yes there are a few but almost same story. Almost all seeds if not all are exported. With our weak currency it is difficult not to export. Here and there we find locals willing to sell.

I received a headsup on Thursday about someone local selling seeds. I ordered 102 packets. The balance I think I will buy later from OL.