Derek Bowdery

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
daniel82
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Derek Bowdery

Post by daniel82 »

What sad news and such a huge loss. One of the nicest people in the hobby, I've been to visit him and his collection quite a few times and he always had time to talk, not just plants either. Also what a truly fabulous collection he had.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Looking at the pictures in the link DaveW gave, I would think he is one of the few people in the world that has grown a Carnegiae gigantea from seed to a size bigger that he is. Maybe the only one from outside North and Central America, even!
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

Very friendly chap and an exceptional grower. A great loss to all.
My condolences to his family.
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Further to Aiko's post - Derek's Carnegia has flowered for the past two years, it was in a recent CactusWorld. To photograph the flowers there was a step ladder by the side of it ready and waiting for the photographer. Who else would have had a greenhouse within a greenhouse? He took one of his greenhouses from his previous home and used it to afford extra heat for his more tender Cerei, a very good idea - space permitting.

I am so glad that a few members from our branch were able to visit him and his collection twice in the last two years.

What a loss to our fraternity.

Suzanne
Tony H
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH

Post by Tony H »

Very sad news, and a huge loss to the cacti world and to all who knew him. He would find time to give help and advice to anyone who he felt was genuinely interested in the hobby, and he had a lot of experience and knowledge to give. RIP. Derek.
Tony H
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH

Post by Tony H »

Very sad news, and a huge loss to the cacti world and to all who knew him. He would find time to give help and advice to anyone who he felt was genuinely interested in the hobby, and he had a lot of experience and knowledge to give. RIP. Derek.
Sylvia
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Sylvia »

A very sad loss to us all. RIP Derek.
Sylvia in Somerset growing cacti and succulents since 1977
apple
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by apple »

Much sadness. I will plant some seeds and water them with tears .Derek we loved you.
Dave ~ Lyn
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by cactuspip »

Derek was one of the people that make this hobby such a pleasure. Helpful, enthusiastic and just an all-round nice chap.
He could take references to a Bowdery (a unit of measurement, used to indicate the height of plants in habitat) as the term of affection it was.
He will be sorely missed across the hobby.

Good Growing, Derek!
FionaW
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by FionaW »

I was very sad to hear the news about Derek - the loveliest and kindest of men. One of my best memories was on a trip to the Hook of Holland with him, John Pilbeam and David Neville - we had such a lot of fun and I shall miss him.
Attachments
IMG_0087.jpg
IMG_0087.jpg (37.3 KiB) Viewed 3623 times