Winter or Summer grower, I'm confused

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
BryanW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Winter or Summer grower, I'm confused

Post by BryanW »

I'm reading conflicting information and have become confused as to how to treat Prepodesma orpenii in the UK, is it a Winter or Summer grower or is it not too fussy?

I am currently treating it as a Winter grower as per 'Storms - the new growing the mesembs' book but in other books it's saying it's a Summer plant :???:
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
Terry S.

Re: Winter or Summer grower, I'm confused

Post by Terry S. »

It comes from an area around Karuman and Postmasburg. The rainfall there can be expected during the summer months and hence it should mainly be a summer grower. However, I do give it a bit of water during the winter as well, along with the other species of Aloinopsis that I grow.
BryanW
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Winter or Summer grower, I'm confused

Post by BryanW »

Hi Terry, many thanks for responding,
I'll move it into the "Summer Grower" tray if that's the case
I'm growing all my Mesembs indoors under LEDs (in a grow box) & I'm using UK local sunrise & sunset times for lighting +-15 mins
I've separated Winter & Summer Plants to make it easier, or so I thought :lol:
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898