Which Fertilizer?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AlanW
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Which Fertilizer?

Post by AlanW »

Hi there folks
I have trawled through a lot of posts but cannot find a clear recommendation for which fertilizer to use for desert cacti & epiphytes.
I see adverts on line for Chempak , Cactus & Succulent Focus, Vitax & Tomorite tomato feed etc. But which is considered to give the best results?

I am sure this has been discussed ad nauseam in the past & I apologize to members for posting a boring topic.

Any advice would be appreciated.....
Terry S.

Re: Which Fertilizer?

Post by Terry S. »

For liquid feeding I suggest Chempak 8 - it has a suitable balance of nutrients including trace elements. Importantly, the nitrogen is in the form of nitrate and ammonium ions which is necessary for uptake of nitrogen by the plants. Some fertilizers such as Phostrogen have most of the nitrate in an organic form: urea, which has to be metabolized by soil bacteria before it can be assimilated. It is possible that the soil in pots of succulents, which has alternating wet and dry periods, may not be conducive to bacterial development. Furthermore, if you use mineral media such as moler clay, then it will be almost impossible for the bacteria to exist. Orchid growers are fully aware of this but we succulent growers are not so knowing.

Succulent plant fertilizers are OK, but they tend to be on the expensive side.
AlanW
Registered Guest

Post by AlanW »

Thank you for the information Terry. I did a search for Chempak 8 & found a link to a BCSS thread which discusses this at length & the majority agreed.

I will check my compost pH value first though.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

I don't know if this fertilizer is sold in GB but I use plantprod 8-16-40 (tu)
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

I too have used Chem. No8 for many years, and changed to No 4 later in the season. No8 is low in nitrogen, and I may also use a higher nitrogen feed once or twice in the start of the growing season. I also use white vinegar to obtain optimum ph in the water. Cheers
AlanW
Registered Guest

Post by AlanW »

Thank you Richard. I have looked at their website & no it is not available here. Thank you for your suggestion
AlanW
Registered Guest

Post by AlanW »

Thank you for that Eric. What concentration do you use the white vinegar at?
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

I use 40ml of 5% vinegar in 10l of tap water. BUT 2/3 to 3/4 of this is consumed by the "hardness" in the water and does not directly change pH. So the amount needed is strongly affected by the water quality. I would try it out with your water and a pond pH kit or calibrated litmus. Annoyingly the "hardness" does not react immediately and the pH can bounce back over around an hour. I do a check after 2 hours. You only have to do this once!
I'd use rain water if I could be bothered to collect it :-)
David Lambie
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Alan, David Lambie has explained my system exactly thanks David. I have used it for many years now. I don't know why exactly but I read that the vinegar should be white. Also he is right about rain water too, but as I live in a town rain water coming from roof etc tend to be dirty and contaminated for me. Cheers
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

Great minds, remember: certainly not fools. :-)