Aeonium velour

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JaneO
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Aeonium velour

Post by JaneO »

Attempting to post right way up!
IMG_8436.JPG
IMG_8437.JPG
JaneO
Registered Guest

Re: Aeonium velour

Post by JaneO »

Well the answer was no but sideways this time! My question concerns pruning. The stems with rosettes are long and I want to keep plant compact. Would pruning now be best or should I wait for warmer weather. Plant is indoors at present.
Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

Aeonium 'Velour' is a naturally branching cultivar, so personally I would leave it as it is. As you are growing it indoors, the branches are more elongated due to lower light levels. However you could take a branch off and root it, then maybe give it stronger light to achieve a more compact plant.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

I would do as Diane suggests. Also one that has better colour outside, once the spring weather has settled down. If need be bring it in at night if we have a sudden late frost. They grow more compactly outside and need sun, as well.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Thanks Liz and Diane
Comments noted. I will remove a couple of bits and plant up when warmer. Plant is only indoors as I don't heat greenhouse. I'll move it into conservatory now so it should colour up. Thank you for excellent advice again.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I am wondering if two different Aeonium clones are circulating as 'Velour'. I say this because the clone that I grow is very reluctant to branch and under my somewhat Spartan conditions it only branched after it flowered. I am fairly happy with the pedigree of my plant and it can be traced back quite a few years. My 'Velour' is very similar to 'Zwartkop in form but the leaves (even during the winter growing season) are a reddish-mahogany rather than the blackish-purple of 'Zwartkop'. The branching plant seems to have originated more recently from a Cornish nursery. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Hi Terry S.
I attach label supplied with mine. Apologies it does say Velours not as I stated. It does not look as though it was grown in Cornwall although I bought it at local nursery here in Hampshire. Not sure if this helps?
IMG_2483.JPG
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Barry Tibbetts from our branch has a lovely compact plant of this, as Terry says it's much more coloured but Barrys plants is really short and compact with multiple branches, he got it from a RHS garden, may have been Wisley.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Terry S. wrote:I am wondering if two different Aeonium clones are circulating as 'Velour'. I say this because the clone that I grow is very reluctant to branch and under my somewhat Spartan conditions it only branched after it flowered. I am fairly happy with the pedigree of my plant and it can be traced back quite a few years. My 'Velour' is very similar to 'Zwartkop in form but the leaves (even during the winter growing season) are a reddish-mahogany rather than the blackish-purple of 'Zwartkop'. The branching plant seems to have originated more recently from a Cornish nursery. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Terry
Rudollf Schulz's Aeonium in habitat and cultivation describes 'Velour' as "Catlin hybrid, 2000 (ISI200-41). A. arboretum 'Zwartkop' x A. canariense." It doesn't sound to me as if your plant is a 'Velour'.

I first came across 'Velour' in Attila Kapitany's garden (see here). It is a very impressive plant, not one I've seen for sale much, but I did finally get one at the RHS Chatsworth Flower Show last year. It seems happy at just about frost free in the greenhouse, but all the outer purple/black leaves have shrivelled and died, leaving just the green rosette centres. 'Zwartkop' rosettes look fairly similar just now, a bit more purple round the edges, but they colour soon enough when they start back into growth later in the year.
JaneO wrote:Apologies it does say Velours not as I stated.
You were correct with 'Velour', Jane. It's the label that's wrong.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I think that my plant is traceable back to the ISI offering and it corresponds well to the photograph in the American Journal. But with me, it does not branch freely whereas the plant now commonly available in the UK, viz. the garden centre purchases mentioned above, does branch freely.