The last Scottish Trip

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
MikeT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: The last Scottish Trip

Post by MikeT »

Lots of interesting photos, Liz - thanks.

Your 'Copiapoa' does seem to be a Blossfeldia. That 'bizarre Gymnocalycium' certainly is bizarre, but may be an abnormal growth form of Eulychnia castanea rather than a Gymno.

Are those Sansevieria in your acquisitions? Some of the plants look very similar to each other - did you get multiple of the same, or are they in fact different species?

Some nice containers - are some home-made?
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

I glad you found them interesting, there was a lot to see and take in. The Copiapoa should be a Copiapoa, as I have seen them that small at Chester Zoo. The Gymnocalycium was labelled Gymnocalycium c----, I can't remember what though. The Sansevieria was a monster one that I cut up, taking a small root with each, I just hope they grow. There was a Tephrocactus that fell apart on me, so the main piece has one pot and the twenty odd are in another pot. All the other plants are different, though there are several of the same genus but different species. A couple of Agaves, Gasterias, Aeoniums and Aloes, three Sempervivums, several more small Opuntias, Sedum multiseps, Turbinicarpus valdeziana and one Echeveria. I also bought a selection of cacti and succulents for use by the branch.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
JaneO
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by JaneO »

So much to take in. Great photos too.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

It seems like a marvellous trip Liz, thanks for giving us such a good account and lovely photos of some fascinating plants. Most enjoyable.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Great pictures of what must be a memorable trip. Any possibility you could name the nurseries, please?
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Hi Paul, Thank you. The nurseries, in order of visiting were, Gerrit Melissen in Utrecht, who rents a section of a commercial greenhouse for his private collection and sells at ELK. Hans Bisheuvel, Lakerveld, in Lexmond. Eden PLants, Heinsburg. Michael Pley's nursery in Titz, his is a private collection but he also sells at ELK. Piltz at Duren. Kakteenland at Steinfeld. Van der Linden, a vast commercial nursery in Honselersdijk. Finally Aad Vijverberg deals in small plants which are very well grown near to van der Linden.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Thank you. I know Gerrit quite well, although I have only been to his stockpile site and not his collection, and Aad - who I'd say has the finest grown collection of cacti I have seen anywhere. Had some wonderful plants from Gerrit - often he has some corky old specimens that are perfect to try outside - neglected, grown hard and also cheap! Looks like you've done well!
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

I am sure many of us have had the thought of working in a nursery surrounded by our favorite plants. The idea sounds like a slice of heaven. Cacti and Succulents as far as the eye can see, all of them lovely.

Then the reality of endless cycle of watering, repotting, pest control, packing plants, watering, repotting, pest control, packing plants, watering, repotting, pest control, packing plants, watering, repotting, pest control, packing plants, watering, repotting, pest control, packing plants, watering, repotting, pest control, packing plants....... sinks in. It must be like painting the Fourth Bridge....... :roll: :shock:
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop