Aeoniums showing Spring colours

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Aeoniums showing Spring colours

Post by Stuart »

Although there's differing opinions on treating Aeoniums as summer or winter growers, I still give mine the same watering as cacti and leave them dry over the winter. They've had their first watering a couple of weeks ago and are starting to look quite nice. 'Mardi Gras' is starting to show the start of summer colours and would probably benefit from summer outside the greenhouse but I ought to cut out the centre before it flowers.
A2.JPG
A1.JPG
It might seem harsh but there's quite a few Aeoniums that don't branch naturally and without cutting the centre, which will easily root, once they start to flower, that's often the beginning of the end for them.
Stuart
JaneO
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Aeoniums showing Spring colours

Post by JaneO »

Stuart,

Beautiful. Love Mardi Gras.
I may be being stupid but could you explain in laymans terms what you mean here? How do you cut the centre please? Jane
Stuart
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart »

It's basically removing the growing point in the centre to force it to branch. I always use a Stanley type knife - the sort with snap-off blades but use the whole blade fully extended. The best cut is to cut through a leafy section so plenty of leaves are left on the stem and a small rosette is cut off the top which can be rooted. The cutting doesn't need to dry off like other succulent cuttings and I usually prop it up in the pot with a couple of coffee stirring sticks. The remaining stem will branch much better if some leaves are left rather than cutting through a bare stem. Hope that helps. I'll take a photo when I've cut the 'Mardi Gras'
Stuart
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Hi Stuart,
Photo would be really useful. If I understand I think you mean..don't cut whole rosette off but leave some lower leaves attached? That makes it branch better. It's Sunburst I struggle with. It gets tall. I chop head off and that just continues. It was suggested putting outside in summer helps so I shall try that. If you had a bit of Mardi Gras to spare when you chop...I could provide good home? Thanks Jane
BryanW
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BryanW »

Hi Stuart,
Do you cut before flowering or after?
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
Stuart
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart »

Before flowering, they're a bit like bamboos in that once they start to flower, there's nothing to stop it. Bit like Sempervivums which is the genus that Aeoniums were first included in.
Stuart
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Jennifer bought one of Stuart's expensive 'Mardi Gras' a couple of years ago. It is getting tall now so I have just been to the greenhouse and done the chop that Stuart suggests. I water my aeoniums through the winter, so there is a good length of stem with leaves that I was able to cut into the middle of. If it fails, we will be after our money back!
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Terry could you please post photo of both bits?
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by FaeLLe »

Aeonium's seem to be your current favourite Stuart, thanks for brining them along to Dartford :)

Another trick they use in Singapore to propogate haworthia's and aeonium's is to use dental floss and cut it like Stuart described.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

16 days on from the operation and the patient is recovering nicely. You can already see a ring of offsets appearing around the centre of the stump. The top rosette is potted but there is no indication of rooting so far.
'Mardi Gras'.jpg