Chempak fertiliser precipitate/insoluble component

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Karsty
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LUTON

Chempak fertiliser precipitate/insoluble component

Post by Karsty »

Does anyone here use Chempak Cactus & Succulent Fertiliser?

I use it, and there is always a component that will not dissolve, even when I heat the water.

Does anyone know what it is? Is it a precipitate?

I haven't asked Chempak yet. I have found asking the manufacturers questions like these is either a long and drawn out process or results in one answer - fudge!

Thank you for any help :grin:
Andyh
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Re: Chempak fertiliser precipitate/insoluble component

Post by Andyh »

Also noticed the same and wondered if these concentrated granules are a problem. They accumulate in base of watering can and some plants may end up with a greater dose. So far not noticed plants suffer though.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

You didn't specify a particular Chempak formula. I use Chempak 8 and haven't noticed any particular problem. It is likely that an observation such as this could depend on the nature of the water used.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Could it be the solution had become saturated so no further crystals would dissolve? Try a smaller amount in the same quantity of water in future and see if you have less or no residue undissolved.

The other alternative is once you have used most of the original solution try adding more water to the residue and see if more dissolves? The makers dosage may be on the excess side of the saturation rate, meaning some of the product is wasted, no doubt as that is more profitable. :grin:

https://chem.libretexts.org/Core/Physic ... Saturation

As Terry says though that could simply be a hard or soft water issue where you live, the product dissolving more in one than the other.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
BryanW
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BryanW »

Terry S. wrote:You didn't specify a particular Chempak formula. I use Chempak 8 and haven't noticed any particular problem. It is likely that an observation such as this could depend on the nature of the water used.
It isn't one of the numered formula Terry it's this one..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chempak-Cactus ... B004KQ4AF6

I was looking at it last night before this topic was started, after seeing Bill H recommending it on his Haworthia pages.
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I am sure that is a very effective fertilizer Bryan but I have no experience of it. I am a bit of a miser and the problem with it is that I can get the similar Chempak 8 at £4.50 per 800g from the local allotment society. Can I put in a plug for such societies? They are not as cheap as the big boys for compost but I can get the ca. 4mm grit from my local one and also Clover John Innes which is much better than the big brand names.
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

I have noticed this with Chempak Trace Elements feed. You just have to dissolve the fertiliser in a small amount of water first before diluting to the strength required. A bit of a palaver and it takes a fair bit of stirring but it's the only way I've been able to dissolve it all.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
BryanW
BCSS Member

Post by BryanW »

Terry S. wrote:I am a bit of a miser and the problem with it is that I can get the similar Chempak 8 at £4.50 per 800g from the local allotment society.
To be honest Terry, If I had as many plants as your good self I'd be a bit of a miser when it comes to sourcing sundries :wink: . Saying that I just paid a whopping £7.99 for Chempak 8 :shock:
Nick_G wrote:I have noticed this with Chempak Trace Elements feed. You just have to dissolve the fertiliser in a small amount of water first before diluting to the strength required. A bit of a palaver and it takes a fair bit of stirring but it's the only way I've been able to dissolve it all.
I know it's Karsty's thread but that has answered it for me and I shall utilise said preparation forthwith (tu)
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
Karsty
Registered Guest
Branch: LUTON

Post by Karsty »

Wow, thanks everybody for a proliferation of responses!

I only use rainwater or RO water, so it is always slightly acid.

Like I said I even heated up the solution to maybe 70C to try to dissolve it and it just would not go.

It's still a mystery to me.....
DavidH
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by DavidH »

Never checked before, but it does seem there is a component of champak No.8 that just does not dissolve.

To mix up 25l of fertiliser mixed 50g in 1l of water to start with, and some of it just did not dissolve.

Drained off most of the water and added another 500ml just in case the solution was saturated - and still seems to lhave left a mostly white residue with a few black specks.
Even dug out my magnetic sturrer not used for years - two hours of sturring later its still there !
Will continue to removed the dissolved parts and adding more water and see if it finally dissolves.

Dave