barrel cacti problem

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mandy
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

barrel cacti problem

Post by Mandy »

1525804545110-2099122522.jpg
1525804575548-523114291.jpg
, this is the problem over winter my barrel cacti as got a orange crust which as spreed around it. is this cold damage or fungal, can it be treated with anything , i would hate to lose it. any help would be great, i have lots to learn. thankyou.
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: barrel cacti problem

Post by Peter »

It could be cold - however sometimes it just happens for no particular reason. There's no real cure for this marking; it will appear less as the plant grows.
Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Post by Mike »

I think cold could be the source of the problem. I do remember hearing somewhere that the white-spined forms of Echinocactus grusonii are a little more sensitive that the normal form, but I don't know if that's true.
Mike
Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Often cold and damp since our winters are humid as well as cold. Sometimes just putting a sheet of newspaper over the plants on a cold night, or even on a cold day in winter will prevent it. You can even leave them covered up for a week in a cold snap with no problem if they are not growing, since they will not etiolate..

From what I have read young grusonii's are more prone to it than more mature plants like yours.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Mandy
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by Mandy »

thankyou. youve made me feal alot better, i was starting to worry.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Keith H »

My three mature plants, one white spined and two normal have been down to just below 5 deg.C for the last four years with no ill effect, I don't think they are as sensitive as younger plants.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554