Recycling plastic pots

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
agavedave
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Recycling plastic pots

Post by agavedave »

A few years ago, I remember being able to rummage through the plant pot recycling bins that were usually just outside the entrance to garden centers and they all seem to have disappeared. After searching for an answer it seems that very few got recycled because the black ones with carbon fillers were difficult to identify the base material and recycle so garden centers stopped collecting them.

I found most of what I wanted in the range of 4-6 inch shallow pots, all they needed was a good wash and a wipe over with ArmourAll protectant and they would last for years.

There is reference to a new scheme set up by the HTA that was supposed to start earlier this year. To date I haven't seen any signs at our local Notcutts or Dobbies so far.

Is any one else seeing recycling bins at garden centers for plastic pots?

Best regards
Dave
Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Recycling plastic pots

Post by Diane »

That's interesting, Dave - I wondered why my local garden centre had stopped their pot recycling, you have provided the answer. Like you, I had found a good selection of dwarf pots on occasion, which can't be bought in the garden centres these days.

So far, no new scheme has been introduced, but your news gives hope that something will happen in the (near) future.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

I had also noticed that those useful bins of used pots had vanished, they were particularly useful for potting on cuttings for branch sales. However, a few weeks ago I discovered that the plant centre at RHS Wisley had reintroduced the scheme and I got some very useful pots. Probably convenient for you Diane, and anyone else in the south east, unfortunately no use to people in other areas.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

It sounds great. I used to rummage in these pot re-cycling boxes and found some really useful finds. I have missed them. Let's hope they make a comeback everywhere.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Geri88
BCSS Member

Post by Geri88 »

Last time I went to Wisley (that would be last year), they still had those bins.
All things small and not (too) spiny.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Wisley is part of this scheme http://www.pottoproduct.co.uk/custom_map/index.html

Not many flags on the map and non near me.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Thanks Jim, that's a very useful map, Wisley is the only place near me that is part of the scheme. Until maybe last year at least three other Garden Centres locally had pot recycling bins, but all have vanished. It's a shame, such a good way of reusing (= recycling) plastic pots.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
chris25
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by chris25 »

Very useful link and map. But there's only one in the whole of Wales (and then only a few miles inside the border). Come on you lot - must do better! :sad:
agavedave
Registered Guest

Post by agavedave »

Here's a link to what I found

https://hta.org.uk/assurance-compliance ... cling.html

Regards
Dave