Albuca spiralis

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JaneO
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Albuca spiralis

Post by JaneO »

I have a flower bud coming.....
IMG_0282.JPG
johno
Registered Guest
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Re: Albuca spiralis

Post by johno »

hi i have that plant about the same size as yours but no sign of a flower. looking forward to a picture of the flower.
johno
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I think that this material is of Dutch origin and they seem to be producing it on a big scale now; whether or not it is Albuca spiralis is another matter, but it is an Albuca and the leaves do spiral! It seems to be evergreen, but the main growing period is during the winter. Once properly established in your collection, you will find that it flowers about April with the greenish flowers typical of the genus. Botanists have now lumped this genus into Ornithogalum, but they are easily distinguished by their flower form.
KeithG
Registered Guest

Post by KeithG »

I agree that it seems late. Mine bloomed just over a month ago which surprised me as I thought that I had lost it because the large bulb rotted in my unheated greenhouse. I was going to toss it but I spotted new foliage coming up to the side and lo, one bloomed............
ImageAlbuca spiralis by longk48, on Flickr
John Dos
Registered Guest

Post by John Dos »

Oh wow! Beautiful!
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

Has anyone ever managed to collect seed from their plant? I have read that Albuca spiralis is self-fertile, but I tried to pollinate the flowers last year and had no luck. But then if the Dutch grow plants aren't a true A. spiralis who knows if it's self-fertile I guess.
KeithG
Registered Guest

Post by KeithG »

KathyM wrote:Has anyone ever managed to collect seed from their plant? I have read that Albuca spiralis is self-fertile, but I tried to pollinate the flowers last year and had no luck. But then if the Dutch grow plants aren't a true A. spiralis who knows if it's self-fertile I guess.
My plant produced seed in 2016. I collected them and got two seedlings out of about 15 seeds. Someone on another forum got far better germination from the seed that I sent her than I did and hopes for flowers next spring.
KeithG
Registered Guest

Post by KeithG »

Despite it supposedly being winter/spring blooming mine is in bloom again..............

cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by cactuspip »

I acquired an Albuca Spirialis in May, at a branch meeting. It was in flower at the time with a flower spike of 8 flowers. It recently put out fresh leaves and another flower spike.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Mine's dormant.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk