Shimadas Rubroroseus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
pvdw
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Shimadas Rubroroseus

Post by pvdw »

I had the privilege today to pick a seed capsule of Bromfieldii rubroroseus from the same pot of plants where Shimada picked his capsules some years ago when he visited South Africa.

I visited a Lithops collector well in his 80's. He found his first Lithops when he was only 14 years old. He has been collecting,reading and learning ever since.

A while ago I was looking at this video- http://www.lithops.info/en/gallery/videos.html - of Shimada examining a Lithops plant. And there I saw the name on the tag: Rubroroseus ex Will du Toit. With my visit today I mentioned the video to him and he took me straight to the pot where Shimada picked his capsules. He then let me pick one as well. The pot still stands in exactly the same spot as then.

Always nice to have a story to tell when you show your plants and this one I will for sure remember.
Attachments
Rub1.jpg
Rub1.jpg (100.34 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Shimadas Rubroroseus

Post by iann »

I have three of these. Two are brown. One is reddish at times but not spectacular and tends to brown out in the sun. I suspect there are better clones but I've never sown a whole capsule of them :mrgreen:
Cheshire, UK
pvdw
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Shimadas Rubroroseus

Post by pvdw »

Yes Iann I agree. It is events like this that gives a hobby more color.

I will only be sowing next year Feb. I found this the best time to sow. Lets hold thumbs for a few nice red plants from this capsule.