Different colour Lithops

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tony R
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Different colour Lithops

Post by Tony R »

Terry S. wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:38 am I am not sure where Steve Hammer established the name 'Rose of Texas' for this cultivar ...
From http://www.scrapbooklithops.com/cultivars.html

'Rose of Texas'
Lithops verruculosa var. verruculosa 'Rose of Texas'. First published by Steven Hammer in “New Cultivars in Lithops, Piante Grasse Speciale 1995. Supplemento al n. 4 di Piante Grasse 15(4): 49. 1995”, originating from Ed Storms of Azle, Texas, USA. Nomenclatural standard: Photograph figure 194 on page 100 in Lithops - Treasures of the Veld, taken by Chris Barnhill of the USA. A rose-pink flowered cultivar with either a normal or green body colour.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I always thought Rose of Texas was pink, pure pink not with peach/salmon/yellow tinges or stripes. The photo in Lithops - Treasures of the Veld shows a rather peachy flower and I would have said it was at least semi-regressed to a more typical var glabra. L. verruculosa shows a range of shades from nearly white to quite dark salmon. In contrast, the plant in the first message of this thread is clearly pink.

See also Lithops Scrapbook cultivars page which conveniently has a 'Rose of Texas' at the top, a very dark pink but certainly not anything except pink.

I find a good proportion of seedlings from this cultivar revert partially or completely, whether from poor pollination or from two not-quite-pure parents. People tend to keep calling them 'Rose of Texas'. Would be interesting to see the original publication if it has a photo, and presumably it has if it is announcing a new flower colour cultivar.
Cheshire, UK
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

As pointed out by Tony above, the photo of this cultivar in Treasures of the Veld is the nomenclatural standard and this is what the flowers of this cultivar should therefore look like.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

More rosy, less pink, same plants.
texas-1007.jpg
Cheshire, UK
Mafate79
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Mafate79 »

Nice one iann, they seem to be close to the nomenclatural standard.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

It's quite likely that there will be one of these at the Cactus Mart at Edenbridge this Sunday - not amongst my sales plants though but I saw one recently that will probably be there.
Stuart