What should I do? Lithops newbie firsttimer...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Terry S.
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: What should I do? Lithops newbie firsttimer...

Post by Terry S. »

Yes, it is the same Terry. However I did not notice where you lived until now. An Indonesian window in spring might be rather different to one in the UK, but just find a way to try and achieve the temperatures suggested, it might mean sowing much earlier in the year under your conditions.
helenbarli
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by helenbarli »

Terry S. wrote: ↑Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:17 am Yes, it is the same Terry. However I did not notice where you lived until now. An Indonesian window in spring might be rather different to one in the UK, but just find a way to try and achieve the temperatures suggested, it might mean sowing much earlier in the year under your conditions.
Yes living in Jakarta with high humidity, constant hot temperature definitely a challenge, hope my little chiller can achieve the similar temperatures of their habitat.

Here in Jakarta, very few people actually grow lithops or conophytums, I am up for this challenge. 😬

I think i am under these butt's spells...
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by habanerocat »

helenbarli wrote: ↑Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:37 am
habanerocat wrote: ↑Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:23 pm The fans won't bring down the actual temperature, but if you have them in an air conditioned room then the room temperature will be the determining factor.

Take care that the lights don't actually increase the temperature inside in the box.
Hello habanerocat. 😊 Yes lighting will be another trail & error for me. Using LED grow lights, i hope it does not make the temperature messed up. Lol.

Currently i am still trial and error how low can the temperature of chiller be with my room temparature 28C-30C constantly.
Ah, you have a chiller. I understand now. No need for a chiller where I live......
helenbarli
Registered Guest

Post by helenbarli »

habanerocat wrote: ↑Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:24 am
helenbarli wrote: ↑Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:37 am
habanerocat wrote: ↑Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:23 pm The fans won't bring down the actual temperature, but if you have them in an air conditioned room then the room temperature will be the determining factor.

Take care that the lights don't actually increase the temperature inside in the box.
Hello habanerocat. 😊 Yes lighting will be another trail & error for me. Using LED grow lights, i hope it does not make the temperature messed up. Lol.

Currently i am still trial and error how low can the temperature of chiller be with my room temparature 28C-30C constantly.
Ah, you have a chiller. I understand now. No need for a chiller where I live......
LED grow lights od 1500lm, is it sufficient for first year of lithops seedlings? I will be switching it on for 14hours.
Actually I am rather confused with the calculation of total light needed for lithops. 1500 x 14 = 21,000 per day. Is this how to calculate the lights?
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Lumens or foot-candles? Foot-candles is the important measure, meaning light intensity. 1,500 lumens in a warehouse isn't enough. 1,500 lumens in your little box might even be too much. Luckily Lithops seedlings don't mind really bright light, you can even start them in direct sun.

Now I'll convert to lux since it is metric and foot-candles is'nt. Lux is lumens per square metre. You probably want a minimum of about 10,000 lux, which means 1,500 lumens shining on about 1/7th of a square metre. You'll lose a bit of light to reflections and not shining in the right place. You can always measure the actual light intensity with a camera, or they have phone apps to make it even easier. Even 10,000 lux is only like bright shade, and sunlight is around ten times brighter. Continuous 10,000 lux for 12-14 hours is still quite a lot of light though.

Lithops seeds do seem to need light to germinate, but it doesn't have to be a great intensity. Almost any light will do. I'd go for 12 hours on, 12 hours off, but anything close should do.

Having said all that, I think the crucial thing for your seedlings will be the temperatures. Too warm and they'll stretch. Much too warm and they'll die. They might not even germinate if it is very warm.
Cheshire, UK
helenbarli
Registered Guest

Post by helenbarli »

iann wrote: ↑Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:32 pm Lumens or foot-candles? Foot-candles is the important measure, meaning light intensity. 1,500 lumens in a warehouse isn't enough. 1,500 lumens in your little box might even be too much. Luckily Lithops seedlings don't mind really bright light, you can even start them in direct sun.

Now I'll convert to lux since it is metric and foot-candles is'nt. Lux is lumens per square metre. You probably want a minimum of about 10,000 lux, which means 1,500 lumens shining on about 1/7th of a square metre. You'll lose a bit of light to reflections and not shining in the right place. You can always measure the actual light intensity with a camera, or they have phone apps to make it even easier. Even 10,000 lux is only like bright shade, and sunlight is around ten times brighter. Continuous 10,000 lux for 12-14 hours is still quite a lot of light though.

Lithops seeds do seem to need light to germinate, but it doesn't have to be a great intensity. Almost any light will do. I'd go for 12 hours on, 12 hours off, but anything close should do.

Having said all that, I think the crucial thing for your seedlings will be the temperatures. Too warm and they'll stretch. Much too warm and they'll die. They might not even germinate if it is very warm.
Thanks for the excellent explanation about the lights and you give great advices. 😊😊😊

How do you know if the seedlings have sufficient/lack of lights? They will turn white and opaque?
helenbarli
Registered Guest

Post by helenbarli »

Its been so many days now... None of the seeds germinated. Hmm... They all just look transparent? Does that mean seeds are dead? Temperature been on 22C day rime, 18C night. humidity is at 50% constant. LED grow light during day.

Should i Increase light and temperature? Help please...
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

The seeds are transparent? Or the seedlings? Might be too warm at night. Or the seed might not be fully ripe. More humidity might help.
Cheshire, UK
helenbarli
Registered Guest

Post by helenbarli »

iann wrote: ↑Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:10 pm The seeds are transparent? Or the seedlings? Might be too warm at night. Or the seed might not be fully ripe. More humidity might help.
Iann, i have attached pic for your reference. Please advice.

At night, temperature is at 15C-17C. How to increase humidity in ziplock bag?
Attachments
B9D6C8DA-3246-45CD-8033-8ABE55000A9B.jpeg
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Humidity inside the bag should be 100%. I can see the seed in the middle clearly, and it looks fine. Just not germinating. After 2-3 weeks with nothing, I'd usually let the pot dry out and try again in a few more weeks. Seed harvested this year can be slow to germinate. In your conditions though, I worry that it just isn't going to happen. You might try putting them in the fridge, just at night if you can tend to them each day.
Cheshire, UK