Hello from Rotherham / Sheffield, South Yorkshire

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Chez2
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Hello from Rotherham / Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Post by Chez2 »

Hello, I / we joined the Sheffield branch of the society last month. I understand I can add my membership number somewhere to access all areas of the forum. Anyway, I'm Cheryl, my husband Andrew has joined too.

We live near the border of Sheffield and Rotherham, not far from Worksop.

I used to grow cacti and succulents as house plants as a child. Our garden has themed areas; tropical / exotic style, Mediterranean / arid and a more drought tolerant / arid style that was a cottage border two months ago.

We want to push the boundaries of what can be kept outside in terms of succulents, hence joining the society to learn more. Our garden is a south facing slope with well drained soil. Its an acre in size so it does differ in drainage and shelter.

I look forward to chatting to you soon.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Re: Hello from Rotherham / Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Post by Tony R »

Chez2 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:38 pm Hello, I / we joined the Sheffield branch of the society last month. I understand I can add my membership number somewhere to access all areas of the forum. Anyway, I'm Cheryl, my husband Andrew has joined too.

Welcome to the Forum, Cheryl.

Yes, If you click on the Person Icon tab and select User Control Panel.
Then select the Usergroups tab and you can apply to 'join' the BCSS Members group.

Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (58.19 KiB) Viewed 8706 times
Image3.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Welcome to the forum, Cheryl - and both of you to the society.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Welcome to the Forum Cheryl, it sounds as though you have some interesting projects in your garden. There are a number of Forum members who grow cacti and succulents out of doors, so I'm sure you will find plenty of guidance. Enjoy your plants and your garden.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
MikeT
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

A reminder about Sheffield Branch Friday's meeting, Cheryl. The speaker is Ray Stephenson, always very knowledgeable and interesting, on succulents in Bulgaria and Morocco.

There will be lots of plants for sale, with some very well grown plants from a collection near Doncaster which has had to be broken up. Only a few of them more than 5 feet tall.

Traffic will be worse than usual with the Sheffield derby match at nearby Bramall Lane, see here
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Chez2
BCSS Member

Post by Chez2 »

Thanks for the intro everyone. Mike, did we meet on Friday? I sat at the back with my husband, next to Peter and Michelle.

We ended up buying more plants at the last two meetings and at Williams Cactus nursery. Hubby built me a 30 x 18 foot polytunnel this year to free up the house and outbuilding. Somehow the house windowsills have filled up again. :???: How did that happen? Our 'tunnel is full but we hope to plant some out next year.
Chez2
BCSS Member

Post by Chez2 »

Tony R wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:33 am
Chez2 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:38 pm Hello, I / we joined the Sheffield branch of the society last month. I understand I can add my membership number somewhere to access all areas of the forum. Anyway, I'm Cheryl, my husband Andrew has joined too.

Welcome to the Forum, Cheryl.

Yes, If you click on the Person Icon tab and select User Control Panel.
Then select the Usergroups tab and you can apply to 'join' the BCSS Members group.

Image1.jpg

Image3.jpg
Hi Tony, I think I have followed the instructions correctly. What should I be able to see and do that I couldn't previously?

I seem to be logged in automatically but sometimes when I try to post it keeps asking me to log in. I'm already showing as being on line so I'm confused. Any idea if its me or just a glitch? Many thanks.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Chez2 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:10 pm Thanks for the intro everyone. Mike, did we meet on Friday? I sat at the back with my husband, next to Peter and Michelle.
So we did see each other then. I was somewhat preoccupied with carrying loads of plants up at the start of the meeting, and setting up the screen for Ray's projector. I don't think you bought any of the auction plants then - did you get some of the fixed price ones? If you realise what a mistake it was failing to get a bargain 6ft+ Cleistocactus, I have a couple left over currently in my garage.
Chez2 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:10 pm Hubby built me a 30 x 18 foot polytunnel this year to free up the house and outbuilding. Somehow the house windowsills have filled up again. How did that happen? Our 'tunnel is full but we hope to plant some out next year.
Polytunnels suffer from the same design fault as greenhouses and windowsills.
They're too small.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Chez2
BCSS Member

Post by Chez2 »

Mike my husband helped carry the plants upstairs so I will have seen you.

We bought a £1 plant and two in the auction.

We joined to learn about adding to our outdoor collection of plants. The polytunnel is for growing from seed, raising young plants, overwintering plants and growing veg. We don't plan to keep a collection year round in the tunnel. I prefer them in the house so I can see them. We have blinds up to a lot of our windows so my plants aren't shut out in the cold at night.
GregoryBulmer
BCSS Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman

Post by GregoryBulmer »

Hi Cheryl,

Didn't get chance to speak to you at the meeting. I'm from Anston near Worksop/Rotherham so it's nice to hear of someone else nearby. Welcome to the forum!

Greg
Greg
BCSS Chairman
Member since 2012
Cold hardy cacti and slow growers.