sedum ID please.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
wildedges
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

sedum ID please.

Post by wildedges »

Well it came labelled simply as 'sedum' but that's no guarantee and it was sold as hardy which it isn't especially. For a while I thought it might be s. multiceps but it never looked quite right as it tends to flop and straggle as it grows rather than form a little 'tree'. Then recently I managed to get hold of a definite multiceps and side by side they are similar by not quite the same. The first 2 pictures are the mystery plant and the last one shows 2 pots of the mystery plant on the left and my multiceps on the right. The multiceps has a thicker, more woody stem, slightly bigger leaves and has more of a branching habit. I'm hoping someone knows what it is as I struggle to grow it and almost lost it at one point when the main plant got too wet outdoors and died back to one stem. I found a cutting growing in with another plant and have nursed them both into better health in the greenhouse. Thanks for looking.

esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: sedum ID please.

Post by esp »

Whilst I doubt if this is the answer, Sedum reflexum can look a bit like S. multiceps. Some of mine has distinct, rather floppy heads, rather than long leafy stems like most of the photos I see on the web. It's very hardy, so should cope with most outdoor conditions in the UK- although I haven't tried waterlogging it over winter.

Without wanting to overtake the thread, how hardy do you find multiceps? I've seen conflicting guidance that says it is both hardy to -10C and also frost tender. I was thinking of putting a couple of cuttings in the cold frame over winter to see what happened.
wildedges
Registered Guest

Post by wildedges »

Thanks for the reply. I've got a few cultivars of reflexum and this seems to be smaller and much less robust. It seems to be similar to a few plants but not quite the same. I thought maybe s. pallidum or s. hispanicum but I'm starting to think it might be a hybrid or something.

I've only just received the multiceps I'm afraid and it came bare root so I'm treating it as tender until it establishes a bit. I've been after one for a while now and was very pleased to finally get it. Once I've got some 'spare' plants from it I'll be trying it over winter in the unheated greenhouse but it took so long to find this one that I'm going to be cautious.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

If your's flowered prolifically with white flowers and then seedlings turned up in any number of pots, then it is Sedum hispanicum. I have it and I have seedlings, very pretty, that have popped up in all sorts of pots. I don't know how hardy it is but I am sure it is in some of my pots outside so come spring I shall know for sure.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
wildedges
Registered Guest

Post by wildedges »

It hasn't flowered yet I dont think but that might be because it's been struggling a bit. It might be that I'll have to wait until it does flower before I can get a positive ID though by the looks of it.
wildedges
Registered Guest

Post by wildedges »

I have another question sorry :oops: These 2 sedums are vegetative cuttings from the same plant. They were potted up at the same time into identical pots, same soil, same topdress, and have sat next to each other ever since. The one has retained it's compact habit but the other insists on more of a sprawling habit. My theory is that the sprawler has better access to nutrients due to a stronger root system or marginally better soil but could anything else be causing this? The previous photos above were taken last November so this is about 6 months of growth over the winter/spring. The greenhouse no longer gets any winter sun thanks to my neighbour's new summerhouse :|