Uploading Photos

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Uploading Photos

Post by Jim_Mercer »

agavemad wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:03 pm Yes definitely still on my disc. below is the location
C:\Users\C660-2KF\Desktop\oct18
Some will load from this file, other will not
Maybe its just some random thing I will never work out
The url message might be a red herring, perhaps there is something inside the jpg file that the forum software doesn't like with the message It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image

This is a copy of my previous picture download from Facebook and it seems to work.
facebook download.jpg
and an old picture with missing exif data
STA_1101.JPG
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Another test....
100_1208 (800x600) error.jpg
100_1208 (800x600) error.jpg (16.4 KiB) Viewed 2220 times

Error from original file and same error from copy saved from Windows Photo Editor and from Paint

Bringing on the big one and Photoshop saves a jpg that will upload....
100_1208 (800x600) photoshop.jpg
agavemad
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by agavemad »

I just find it very bizarre that some photos in the same file will load and some not. I had to edit in paint to be able to upload...
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

I have used an exif data viewer to look at the files and it reports the wrong values for the original files but the file info shown by photoshop contains the wrong and correct values in different parts of the data. This data stays the same in the copy made by photoshop that will upload and my exif viewer reports the correct value. Must be something clever hidden in this data that I cannot see at present that is causing the upload problem and confusing my exif data viewer.
100-1208 exif.JPG
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

agavemad wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:53 pm I just find it very bizarre that some photos in the same file will load and some not. I had to edit in paint to be able to upload...
Have you tried uploading the original picture - the forum does allow much bigger pictures than used to be the case.
agavemad
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by agavemad »

Yes I tried to original 1st then made it smaller. I will send the original
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

I have been following this thread with interest but unfortunately can't add anything useful in resolving agavemad's problem. I have however been intrigued by Jim's assertion that we can now upload much larger files and I'm going to give it a try with a photo of 3.28MB. I always used to limit my attached photos to 256KB but a few months ago when the software was upgraded we could load up to about 500KB, dependent on the actual dimensions of the photograph file. If I am successful with this attachment it will be an improvement not to have to resize photos before they are attached.

It looks as though it has worked but the image is partly obscured at the bottom by downloaded file information. Also, if I click on the image I can scroll to the right and see previous photos in this thread, which could be a bonus for comparisons in the monthly photo competition. A downside to the latest software is that you can't create a margin between text and photo, which means that the top of the photo is tight against the last line of the text. I prefer to have a gap but hey ho we can't have everything we want!
Conophytum obcordellum ssp ceresianum
Conophytum obcordellum ssp ceresianum
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Thanks for the extra info, it's nice scrolling through the photos, a useful addition for a change (tu)
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

This is a copy of the full size original file - 3.1MB. There is something in the original jpg file causing the upload error that I sill cannot identify, this is a copy made by Photoshop which "corrects" the data that Windows Paint and Photo Editor both ignore
100_1208_big_copy.jpg
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Tina wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:59 am Thanks for the extra info, it's nice scrolling through the photos, a useful addition for a change (tu)
Unfortunately we seem to have lost the ability to zoom into pictures which was useful after we were allowed to upload bigger files