Massonia

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Massonia

Post by Ali Baba »

This pot full is looking good this year. I think I will have to cull the ones in the centre when the leaves die down in spring though...
Attachments
6EB6BBC8-1A9E-4A52-858C-7C8DFEDAE1B4.jpeg
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Re: Massonia

Post by el48tel »

That is gorgeous ...... and one type of succulent of which I've never heard
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

At least you'll keep the weeds down with them crammed in like that (I hastily admit that mine look just the same! :shock: ).

Some Massonias have wonderful scents, too.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Plants in my greenhouse are packed together as closely as possible. However, I have a friend in Somerset who can resist the temptation of quantity and grows each single Massonia in its own pot and spreads the pots out so that the leaves don't touch. They look really good if you can do this.

El Tel: Massonias are not succulent but geophytic, they have "normal" leaves and flowers during the winter months (a couple of miserable species are summer-growers) which die away for summer. However, in the wild in RSA one can see massonias, conophytums, adromischus, crassulas etc. growing quite close together and these South African bulbs mix very well with succulents in our greenhouses and can be grown under similar conditions. Massonias will not be accepted by BCSS show judges but confusingly plants with similar growth forms such as Brachystelma are acceptable. I wonder what the rationale is?
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Terry S. wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:12 am Plants in my greenhouse are packed together as closely as possible. However, I have a friend in Somerset who can resist the temptation of quantity and grows each single Massonia in its own pot and spreads the pots out so that the leaves don't touch. They look really good if you can do this.

El Tel: Massonias are not succulent but geophytic, they have "normal" leaves and flowers during the winter months (a couple of miserable species are summer-growers) which die away for summer. However, in the wild in RSA one can see massonias, conophytums, adromischus, crassulas etc. growing quite close together and these South African bulbs mix very well with succulents in our greenhouses and can be grown under similar conditions. Massonias will not be accepted by BCSS show judges but confusingly plants with similar growth forms such as Brachystelma are acceptable. I wonder what the rationale is?
Thanks for the detailed explanation ..... as a newbie I find some of this puzzling, if not amusing. Regardless of the specification laid down (by whom, and for whatever reason), I think the plant is rather fine ......... and if I see one, I shall purchase it, and endeavour to remember the instructions for success.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I have seeds of Massonia on offer, if you want to try them from seeds. Will have more species in April / May. Plants should also be not too hard to obtain, but chances are you will most likely come across M. pustulata / M. longipes.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Aiko wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:53 pm I have seeds of Massonia on offer, if you want to try them from seeds. Will have more species in April / May. Plants should also be not too hard to obtain, but chances are you will most likely come across M. pustulata / M. longipes.
Thanks
I may take you up on the offer in April / May once I have got myself organised properly.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by Ali Baba »

Can’t detect any scent, but the weather hasn’t been warm enough to encourage it much. My Massonia jasminiflora always has a very strong scent, more so if a bit of sun warms the greenhouse
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Ali Baba wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:35 pm This pot full is looking good this year. I think I will have to cull the ones in the centre when the leaves die down in spring though...
Looking super! I have always tried to keep mine single once flowering size.

The word cull sounds a bit extreme. I think repotted sounds much nicer
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

My Massonia depressa bulbs looked like this about a month ago and I decided to split them because the biggest bud was on the middle plant completely hidden by a leaf. It's just starting to open now.
massonias348depressa b.jpg