Tylecodon

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
frank25
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLASGOW

Tylecodon

Post by frank25 »

Re: Advice on Tylecodon

Hello, I am a new member. Could you please advise me on Tylecodon? I am interested in buying some but they are supposed to be dangerous to handle them when I read on wikipedia. Does anyone know what part of the plant which is dangerous? Are some plants more dangerous than others or best to stay away from them all. I have Euphorbia, but I know only the sap that is dangerous. Thank you
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Tylecodon

Post by Aiko »

As long as you don't plan on eating them nothing will happen. But I have not read they are poisonous, though. They definately will not stab you or otherwise attack you, so you will be fine.
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Tylecodon species are considered toxic - in particular, T. wallichii, but as with any other toxic plant (and there are many common garden plants that are toxic) just take care in handling them.
I'm sure that many of us who grow them, don't even think twice about it, and I've never heard of anybody becoming ill from growing them!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

I agree with the above. Don't eat it and you will be fine. I grow a number and have no concerns.
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I also concur with the others. Whereas one has to be very careful with euphorbias because the sap can have adverse effects on the skin, to the best of my knowledge, tylecodon sap has no effects. They have to be eaten to be toxic. I remember a mountain called Ploegberg in South Africa where the goats had eaten everything and all that was left were the large Tylecodon paniculata plants, the animals knew what they were doing. On another farm in Namaqualand, that raised sheep, we walked around with the manager and every time that he saw a Tylecodon wallichii, he put the boot in!

Another confirmation that one has to be sceptic about items you see on the web. Much better to get together with true enthusiasts at society meetings and discuss things. Potatoes and rhubarb are toxic but as long as we don't eat the fruits on one or the leaves on the other, we are fine.
frank25
BCSS Member

Post by frank25 »

Thank you all for the advice. Unfortunately my local branch is over 100 miles away. I just recently joined and I have been only once. It is difficult to go because of the distance and the meeting is at night time. So I will have to rely on you good people for advice.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Hi Frank

don't worry, I'm in the same boat, living miles away from the nearest branch. You'll find a lively discussion and lots of helpful people on here.

As to poisons, I've never had problems from Tylecodons, but twice I have had an "industrial accident" at work - I kept some Euphorbias as office plants, and must have touched the leaves while watering them, and then rubbed my eyes. (No obvious damage to the leaves, just touching them is enough). The net result was excruciating burning pain in my eyes, and having to use an eye bath, and my head under the tap, to rinse my eyes out.

Fortunately, the health and safety officer didn't tell me to get rid of the plants - but that was because I was the H&S officer... :grin:

So, Tylecodons are OK, but beware Euphorbias...

Ralph
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

ralphrmartin wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:24 am .............

Fortunately, the health and safety officer didn't tell me to get rid of the plants - but that was because I was the H&S officer... :grin:

So, Tylecodons are OK, but beware Euphorbias...

Ralph
:lol:
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

And also don't use your teeth (sometimes easier than to use fingers) to clean seeds of Cyphostemma, even if touching them slightly. You will feel a numb sensation in your mouth for hours...
frank25
BCSS Member

Post by frank25 »

Oh no I have got 7 Euphorbias but I think I am OK with them so far. I know to watch out for the sap and I am careful handling them.