Please can I see photos of your DIY staging?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Please can I see photos of your DIY staging?

Post by Cactusgirl »

Hi I designed and built my 3 tier staging myself from wood purchased from a local diy store. I then painted it with 2 coats of yacht varnish (purchased from Tool Station). If you are interested in this I can send you the measurements. I have a Hercules 8 foot by 18 foot. The staging is very sturdy indeed.
Attachments
20180829_163507.jpg
20180128_165850.jpg
peter831shaw
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by peter831shaw »

Iam all for durability as well. My "benches" are made from 1.5" square galvanized tubing, secured to the walls of the same material. No legs needed! I had to stand on them to put up my wife's Christmas lights.

Tops are galvanized expanded metal, covering is 2x acrylic.
Attachments
IMG-7613 2.JPG
IMG-7613 2.JPG (122.23 KiB) Viewed 2853 times
Peter Shaw
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by purzo »

aloedanielo wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:02 am My thoughts so far are that I should have my south facing bench 3ft wide which would obscure half of the door. I'd have to make a cut out/recession for the door and have a smaller aisle but I'm only slim.
I use wood staging in my wood greenhouses. The staging is about 2ft wide (deep?) but I extended this by topping them with wider 9mm plywood with, as you say, a cut out/recess for the door to open. I don't think I made it 3ft wide as I still need to be able to reach plants at the glass side and fit/remove insulation easily when the time comes.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

This is a question that I thought about a couple of years ago when I was planning my new greenhouse for when we moved house. I had always built my own wooden staging before that, a strong frame with slats across and a central support the length of the frame, and these stood on 3" sq legs. I had a wooden greenhouse, so it was easy to make these stable, by screwing them to the sides. I don;t have a clear photo of what I had built, but I attach a photo that sort of shows the construction. I painted them all in Ronseal red cedar paint, which is what I used to keep the cedar greenhouse looking decent. Over time I'd have to renew the odd slat or a few, as sometimes a very heaving plant would cause a bit of a sag, but that was minor stuff. I could have made the cross slats thicker, but the cost would have gone up, and the slats were the most expensive element of the whole.
PICT9141.JPG
But I went for an aluminium greenhouse, and in the end I decided that the staging had to be aluminium, for strength and life, and went for Two Wests commercial staging which is ever so robust. Its not the cheapest, but it is quality through and through.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

One thing that hasn't been commented on. I would never attach staging to the greenhouse structure itself. The weight of some of our plants is really quite high and I would not want to over-stress the structure. So always have free standing staging. I now use two Wests commercial benching, but it does need additional cross members to prevent sagging. I use the sold aluminium sheets so that water does not drip onto the haworthias and other plants on the floor underneath, slats might be physically stronger.
An old greenhouse has home-made wooden benching but this rests on brick piers which I constructed to avoid the leg-rotting problem.
phil
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by phil »

Here are some pics of my staging.
Attachments
staging-2.jpg
staging-1.jpg
staging-3.jpg
Phil. (Kent, England) BCSS Herne Bay & District Branch.
Collecting Cacti-1961. Forum member-September 2004.
Favourites= Mexican miniatures.
http://www.cactusplant.co.uk
phil
BCSS Member

Post by phil »

The staging has been in place for 15 years now and still looks as good as new!
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

phil wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:22 pm The staging has been in place for 15 years now and still looks as good as new!
I love the colour, too! Your greenhouse looks beautiful and good quality. What make is it? Would you recommend? For future reference....
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
phil
BCSS Member

Post by phil »

I love the colour, too! Your greenhouse looks beautiful and good quality. What make is it? Would you recommend? For future reference....
My greenhouse is an ‘Eden Sherborne’ which unfortunately is no longer available. Very strong construction, probably equivalent to Robinson greenhouse today.
I particularly like the full size hinged door which has a secure mortice lock.
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

phil wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:34 pm
My greenhouse is an ‘Eden Sherborne’ which unfortunately is no longer available. Very strong construction, probably equivalent to Robinson greenhouse today.
I particularly like the full size hinged door which has a secure mortice lock.
Yes, I liked the look of the door, too. Thanks for the info.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...