Sowing cactus seeds: best time?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Sowing cactus seeds: best time?

Post by el48tel »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:02 pm
el48tel wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:36 pm
Jim_Mercer wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:06 pm I have just found the instructions that Ray Allcock used to provide with the packets of seed he sold, Growing Cacti from Seed.pdf
An excellent summary of the concensus but omits reference to the more contentious issues such as time (winter etc or not) temperature (heater or not) and light (propagator lights)
It does cover temperature sedd temp.JPG

I cannot remember seeing any lights in Ray's greenhouses but he did use soil warming cables to make a large propagator I might have a picture - will have a look....
Thanks but I think I may not have made myself understood.
I meant the use of a fully defined propagator unit rather than setting the ambient to approximately the temperature.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Bosenoge
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Bosenoge »

If you want to be exact use this: http://www.romberg.de/produkte/maximus-complete-3-0/ .
I have three of them and they work perfectly. You can set the night and day temps, everything is automatic.
My setup:
Light on for 14 hours a day
Day temp 29 (+-2) Celsius
Night temp: 19(+-2) Celsius

I keep capillary mating under the pots in the propagator-its easier to look at the seedlings this way. Baggies are less transparent. Using this method I get pretty good germination for most species of cacti.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

el48tel wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:02 pm
Thanks but I think I may not have made myself understood.
I meant the use of a fully defined propagator unit rather than setting the ambient to approximately the temperature.
What is the difference - a certain temperature is required either in a small enclosed space like a propagator or a larger enclosed space like a greenhouse or simply in the ground for those in warmer climates. I have had a quick look through my pictures from Ray's open days but cannot find one showing seedlings but I do know he had constructed a large enclosed space at the end of one of his greenhouse benches where this plant must have been from the heating cables
IMG_1182.JPG
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

Am I right in thinking that some cacti, like rebutia or cintia, may like a lower germination temp? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Maybe it doesn't matter?
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
SpikyMike
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by SpikyMike »

Bosenoge wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:43 pm If you want to be exact use this: http://www.romberg.de/produkte/maximus-complete-3-0/ .
I have three of them and they work perfectly. You can set the night and day temps, everything is automatic.
My setup:
Light on for 14 hours a day
Day temp 29 (+-2) Celsius
Night temp: 19(+-2) Celsius

I keep capillary mating under the pots in the propagator-its easier to look at the seedlings this way. Baggies are less transparent. Using this method I get pretty good germination for most species of cacti.
Looks an amazing gadget! Built in heating mat, thermostats, circulation fan and grow lights! £200ish on Amazon is a bit beyond my price range for now though
Mike Walton
Birkhamsted Branch
Hertfordshire
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

conolady wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:02 pm Am I right in thinking that some cacti, like rebutia or cintia, may like a lower germination temp? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Maybe it doesn't matter?
Specfic seeds may benefit from different treatment, that is always the problem with generic advice
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Jim_Mercer
Please excuse this pedantic oldie .... but one old hand did say to me that a propagator unit held its humidity whereas a heated tray didn't when I asked the difference.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:24 pm
conolady wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:02 pm Am I right in thinking that some cacti, like rebutia or cintia, may like a lower germination temp? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Maybe it doesn't matter?
Specfic seeds may benefit from different treatment, that is always the problem with generic advice
And is that the cause of confusion? Different experts with different experience growing different species with different needs .... and the rest of us working in the dark.
SpikyMike
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by SpikyMike »

el48tel wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:27 pm Jim.....a propagator unit held its humidity whereas a heated tray didn’t....
Is constant humidity level for cactus seedlings a good or a bad thing? Thx
Mike Walton
Birkhamsted Branch
Hertfordshire
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

SpikyMike wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:41 pm
el48tel wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:27 pm Jim.....a propagator unit held its humidity whereas a heated tray didn’t....
Is constant humidity level for cactus seedlings a good or a bad thing? Thx
Damned good question to which I too would like an answer. Reading some of the cultivation notes from around the world ... some indicate to the affirmative ... others indicate it as a source of problems.