Cultivation snippets wanted for CactusWorld

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Re: Cultivation snippets wanted for CactusWorld

Post by Al Laius »

Kees wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:40 pm Cover the fresh wound of a cactus cutting with a thick layer of ashes until it is dry. It will keep molds at bay.
Thanks for this tip.

I presume you mean wood ash?
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Al Laius wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:10 pm
Kees wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:40 pm Cover the fresh wound of a cactus cutting with a thick layer of ashes until it is dry. It will keep molds at bay.
Thanks for this tip.

I would use flowers of sulphur, particularly on Stapeliads.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Use kitchen roll over drainage holes rather than gravel or crocks.

Clay pots always look better than plastic. Paint clear varnish on the inside and they won't dry out as fast and salts won't leach through to make them unsightly.
Christian
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by Christian »

Herts Mike wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:04 am Use kitchen roll over drainage holes rather than gravel or crocks.
Clever! :!: :idea:
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

These remarks may seem obvious to most reading here but if you come across novice growers you will find they need simple basic information.
Make your own compost and never buy 'Cactus Compost' as it is usually peat with a few pieces of gravel in it.
To make your own compost use 50% John Innes no2 or no3 with 50 % drainage material, ie grit or catlitter, the non-clumping, pink, baked clay granules.
Give your plants the best possible light and don't try to grow most succulents and cacti in north facing windowsills but south facing or at least south east or southwest facing.
Don't water in winter unless you have your plants in a very warm room, then a light spray once a month to prevent desiccation is OK.
If you can put larger, healthy plants outside in summer, it will benefit them no end and they will grow stronger as a result. Give them time to acclimatise to the better light by introducing it slowly over a week or two. Don't attempt to do this until all fear of frost has gone and it is no less than 10C at night.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Nick_G
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Nick_G »

1\ 'Chit' seeds of caudiciform plants. (Adenia, Pachypodium, Adenium, Dioscorea, cucurbits etc) between sheets of damp kitchen towel in a clean, sealed, microwaveable take away container (yes, those again ) placed somewhere warm. Check daily and carefully pot up the individual seeds as they sprout. Saves space and it's good fun every morning checking the seeds. Change the kitchen towel at least once a week.

2\ Eat more curry.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
Kees
Registered Guest

Post by Kees »

Al Laius wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:10 pm
Thanks for this tip.

I prefer cigarette or cigar ash as it is finer. Being a non-smoker I make do with wood ash. Ash consists of the salts that remain after the organic substances are burnt. These salts inhibit the growth of molds. Kitchen salt is probably too hygroscopic. I never tried that so that is a guess.
Kees
Registered Guest

Post by Kees »

Cidermanrolls wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:42 pm Cacti grow from the south of South America to the north of North America, in every country of the continent. They grow at sea level and high in the mountains.
There is no “one size fits all” in cactus culture.

Please correct me if t here’s a country where they don’t grow......
[/quote
Any cacti in Greenland?
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Kees wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:51 pm
Cidermanrolls wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:42 pm Cacti grow from the south of South America to the north of North America, in every country of the continent. They grow at sea level and high in the mountains.
There is no “one size fits all” in cactus culture.

Please correct me if t here’s a country where they don’t grow......
[/quote
Any cacti in Greenland?
I’ve never thought of Greenland as in the Americas, but I accept my comment was open to interpretation. Note to self, be even more precise next time.....
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

Christian wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:38 pm
Herts Mike wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:04 am Use kitchen roll over drainage holes rather than gravel or crocks.
Clever! :!: :idea:
This is one where more context would be suited. I always put pebbles in the bottom of small pots (pots with seedlings when they need watering I soak them in a layer of water, the pebbles help prevent the soil for not washing out the pots when I take the pots out). No kitchen paper will be helpful after the first soak...