Top dressing for succulents

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Top dressing for succulents

Post by Paul in Essex »

aloedanielo wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:49 am All I can add to this is whatever top dressing you use, use one that you already include in your soil mix. Nothing worse than separating out decorative gravel when potting on. :grin:
Top tip!! :smile:

I recently switched over to using LECA as a compost ameliorant and top dressing. Not used it for long enough to be certain but so far it seems perfect.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

D^L wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:05 pm
el48tel wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:54 pm The best voidage is obtained by random sizes; uniform sizes give denser packing arrangements
I agree that if you carefully pack spheres ideally then even slightly different sized particles can substantially increase the gaps. But is that so for a mix were it is randomly dumped in? I thought these all turn out about 50/50 grit to air.
If you include notably finer ingredients they fit between the large ones and reduce the volume of air, I think particles less than about 1/3 of the basic diameter start to do that.
Welcome any corrections to my understanding!
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
You are not wrong - so a math project on ratios will be on the "to-do" list. But there are issues with the other components which can fall into the holes. Clay (cat litter) goes slimy; organics like peat hold a lot of water then go like concrete when dry (correct phrase because of the composition). So a top dressing like the non-ionic component (grit / sand) is the right idea because it allows the removal of the seedling without root loss but allowing the old compost mix to fall away. Been reading the papers written by the French & German growers and the composition of the seedling mix and the planting on mix are important in this respect.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

UPDATE
If the ratio is about 0.22 : 1 --------- then a small grit will fit in the void. larger than 0.22 is better because it opens the structure. smaller gives the chance of the void being blocked
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Nick_G
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Nick_G »

el48tel wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:56 pm Clay (cat litter) goes slimy;
You must be using the wrong stuff.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Nick_G wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:37 pm
No I am not.

I don't use it. I am not convinced that the ions are not exchanged.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

el48tel wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:56 pm Clay (cat litter) goes slimy
Nick_G wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:37 pm You must be using the wrong stuff.
I agree with Nick, the baked clay cat litter doesn't go slimy.
If you don't use it, el48tel, why do you think it goes slimy? Is this something that someone else has said?
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

el48tel wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:10 pm
No I am not.

Could you explain?
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

el48tel wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:10 pm
No I am not.

The right stuff doesn't go slimy.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Two points here
1. I had some plants from a plant sale which contained that which I am told was Seramis or similar and was told was similar to "cat litter". Washed the used compost to reclaim the grit / sand --- found I had a slimy stuff on the surface (same colour as the component we discuss) --- asked as a newbie at the local branch and was told in no uncertain terms of the origin. Similar tale from a bag of Westland Cactus compost bought last year when I was starting this hobby.
2. Without bragging or one-up-man-ship, I have a background in Chemistry and ceramics, and understand the nature and behaviour of clay based materials. Please tell me if I am incorrect in this statement, "Very few cacti and succulents grow in silt or kaolin". If I am incorrect I shall most definitely apologise for my error.
Nick_G
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Nick_G »

I grow all my cacti in pure cat litter, it doesn't go slimy.

I boil all my used cat litter for ten minutes to sterilise it before I re use it, it doesn't go slimy.

I have been doing this for many years now, it doesn't go slimy.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium