Germination begins

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Germination begins

Post by Stuart »

Germination is usually the easiest part of seed-raising. Most of the species will germinate in much less that a fortnight. Lithops usually in about four or five days, Cacti should show signs in about a week. I'm assuming they are in contact with moist compost?

Stuart
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Warmer days might help, and perhaps cooler nights, but your setup looks basically OK. I wouldn't worry at this stage, give it another week and then maybe take them out to let them dry. Try again after a few weeks dry. I usually expect germination in 10-14 days at those sort of temperatures, although like this year I can still be surprised.
Cheshire, UK
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Stuart wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:55 pm Germination is usually the easiest part of seed-raising. Most of the species will germinate in much less that a fortnight. Lithops usually in about four or five days, Cacti should show signs in about a week. I'm assuming they are in contact with moist compost?

Stuart
Yes they are
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

iann wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:16 pm Warmer days might help, and perhaps cooler nights, but your setup looks basically OK. I wouldn't worry at this stage, give it another week and then maybe take them out to let them dry. Try again after a few weeks dry. I usually expect germination in 10-14 days at those sort of temperatures, although like this year I can still be surprised.
I think I know what you mean. A couple of seeds in a pot which were sown last year but had not germinated sitting in the same location seem to have germinated this past few weeks.

So if I understand you. Leave alone. Monitor. Rescue. Remove from baggy. Leave. Try again.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

el48tel wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:08 pm So if I understand you. Leave alone. Monitor. Rescue. Remove from baggy. Leave. Try again.
And retry and retry again, if needed. Mesembs and bulbs can take a few cycles before they finally start to germinate.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Aiko wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:41 pm
el48tel wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:08 pm So if I understand you. Leave alone. Monitor. Rescue. Remove from baggy. Leave. Try again.
And retry and retry again, if needed. Mesembs and bulbs can take a few cycles before they finally start to germinate.
Aiko
Thanks for your kind encouragement. I am new to this. Some seeds I set last year I was told that they were too late. I wanted an early start this year. I will persevere!
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

In case it's of any interest....I sowed 12 pots of BCSS mesemb seed 10 days ago, and there is something up in each pot, lots in some of them. Even the two Cono pellucidum are germinating...I sowed 20 pots of other mesemb seed on December 28th and they are all up and growing well, bar one pot of Cono brunneum, for which the seller has refunded me. One other pot of Gibbaeum shandii only has two seedlings, compared to lots from the BCSS (Terry S's) later sowing. I used Terry's method and substrate, as detailed on his website and on this forum, the only difference being that I pasteurised/sterilised the substrate in the Rayburn for several hours and used distilled water for initial waterings. I've added Rhizotonic at quarter strength to that now.

I'll sow the lithops and cacti in March, I think, using the same method but slightly warmer temps.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

conolady wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:04 am In case it's of any interest....I sowed 12 pots of BCSS mesemb seed 10 days ago, and there is something up in each pot, lots in some of them. Even the two Cono pellucidum are germinating...I sowed 20 pots of other mesemb seed on December 28th and they are all up and growing well, bar one pot of Cono brunneum, for which the seller has refunded me. One other pot of Gibbaeum shandii only has two seedlings, compared to lots from the BCSS (Terry S's) later sowing. I used Terry's method and substrate, as detailed on his website and on this forum, the only difference being that I pasteurised/sterilised the substrate in the Rayburn for several hours and used distilled water for initial waterings. I've added Rhizotonic at quarter strength to that now.

I'll sow the lithops and cacti in March, I think, using the same method but slightly warmer temps.
Yes it is of interest! The source could be important as the compost as the moisture as the temperature etc
Mine were all BCSS seeds - so awaiting progress - no intention of a trip to the greenhouse until the ice has melted - came a cropper on it last evening.
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

el48tel wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:46 am
conolady wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:04 am In case it's of any interest....I sowed 12 pots of BCSS mesemb seed 10 days ago, and there is something up in each pot, lots in some of them. Even the two Cono pellucidum are germinating...I sowed 20 pots of other mesemb seed on December 28th and they are all up and growing well, bar one pot of Cono brunneum, for which the seller has refunded me. One other pot of Gibbaeum shandii only has two seedlings, compared to lots from the BCSS (Terry S's) later sowing. I used Terry's method and substrate, as detailed on his website and on this forum, the only difference being that I pasteurised/sterilised the substrate in the Rayburn for several hours and used distilled water for initial waterings. I've added Rhizotonic at quarter strength to that now.

Yes it is of interest! The source could be important as the compost as the moisture as the temperature etc
Mine were all BCSS seeds - so awaiting progress - no intention of a trip to the greenhouse until the ice has melted - came a cropper on it last evening.
The source is of paramount importance. If you have useless seed, nothing you do will work! BTW, the seed from atomic-plant.de was super. Wonderful germination, I'm tempted to say 100% but I haven't counted every seedling. It was all conophytums, but I see no reason why his other seed would not be as good.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

conolady wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:51 pm
el48tel wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:46 am

The source is of paramount importance. If you have useless seed, nothing you do will work! BTW, the seed from atomic-plant.de was super. Wonderful germination, I'm tempted to say 100% but I haven't counted every seedling. It was all conophytums, but I see no reason why his other seed would not be as good.
Had an interesting email chat with Mesagarden last week and they may be getting a repeat order from me soon.