Germination begins

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
conolady
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: EXETER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Germination begins

Post by conolady »

Just read this on the Mesa Garden website. Clearly the new ordering system is going to be later than forecast, but one can still order from them as it says below...

"We are a little more than half way through the build of our new website!! This will change how the 2019 seed list goes and the timing. We are not completely certain at this point but they are giving us a go live date in Early March. This is the biggest and most complicated part of all of our technology upgrades. We have to get many things just right and they have projected it is going to take about 4-6 months.

The new site will be an inventory/cart system. You will create a login and account with all of your information. It will be first come first serve but you will know exactly what you are getting when you check out. It will also have pictures. We will not have all the pictures in but we are working daily taking and uploading as many as we can. We are very hopeful this will make ordering easier for all.

The website will still be www.mesagarden.com

We do apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your patience during this time. We will continue to accept seed orders until mid-late February on an order to order basis after we assess the stock of the seeds on each list."
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

conolady wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:38 pm Just read this on the Mesa Garden website. Clearly the new ordering system is going to be later than forecast, but one can still order from them as it says below...

"We are a little more than half way through the build of our new website!! This will change how the 2019 seed list goes and the timing. We are not completely certain at this point but they are giving us a go live date in Early March. This is the biggest and most complicated part of all of our technology upgrades. We have to get many things just right and they have projected it is going to take about 4-6 months.

The new site will be an inventory/cart system. You will create a login and account with all of your information. It will be first come first serve but you will know exactly what you are getting when you check out. It will also have pictures. We will not have all the pictures in but we are working daily taking and uploading as many as we can. We are very hopeful this will make ordering easier for all.

The website will still be www.mesagarden.com

We do apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your patience during this time. We will continue to accept seed orders until mid-late February on an order to order basis after we assess the stock of the seeds on each list."
Yes you are not wrong. That's what it says on the site. But I have an email conversation ....
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

el48tel wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:52 pm Yes you are not wrong. That's what it says on the site. But I have an email conversation ....
What did that say?

I asked them a question if they felt confident any orders coming in from early March (if they make that date) would be handled relatively fast or not. Last year I got my order in after two months of ordering, and I was not slow ordering.

For me it would make a difference of ordering species that like cold nights to germinate (basically all bulbs and mesembs for me). Sowing late March is what I would prefer. the second half of April would probably be too late already (nights getting warmer, and I miss a lot of hours of sun light to get things growing before their first winter). I have not received an answer after a week.
conolady
BCSS Member

Post by conolady »

el48tel wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:52 pm
conolady wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:38 pm Just read this on the Mesa Garden website. Clearly the new ordering system is going to be later than forecast...

Yes you are not wrong. That's what it says on the site. But I have an email conversation ....
So what did they say??? No use being gnomic!
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

conolady wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:18 pm
el48tel wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:52 pm
conolady wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:38 pm Just read this on the Mesa Garden website. Clearly the new ordering system is going to be later than forecast...

So what did they say??? No use being gnomic!
As has been communicated to me privately by others - order upto mid Feb from old listings - will be shipped as available
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
conolady
BCSS Member

Post by conolady »

Ah...old news then.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

So a couple of questions about previously germinated seeds .......

Some of my tiny seedlings have gone reddish which I know = stressed by light excess or moisture lack, so will they recover?
What can I do to aid recovery?
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

el48tel wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:29 pm So a couple of questions about previously germinated seeds .......

Some of my tiny seedlings have gone reddish which I know = stressed by light excess or moisture lack, so will they recover?
They may well recover. Quickly, slowly, or not at all, you will find out.
Other than keeping well moistened, warm and with a good but not excessive amount of light, there's not much else to do. Seedlings in pure or mostly mineral medium will need fertilising too.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

esp wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:43 pm
el48tel wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:29 pm So a couple of questions about previously germinated seeds .......

They may well recover. Quickly, slowly, or not at all, you will find out.
Other than keeping well moistened, warm and with a good but not excessive amount of light, there's not much else to do. Seedlings in pure or mostly mineral medium will need fertilising too.
Thanks
I guessed that this might be the response.
Think it might be the lack of water in the conservatory period
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

5 days at 19 Deg C, and up they come.
IMG_4963.JPG
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).