CactusWorld out today

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mike P
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Re: CactusWorld out today

Post by Mike P »

Yes leaflet in mine. It doesn’t mention the bane of my Aeoniums which is vine weevil. One of my largest is currently re rooting following my annual inspection of the contents of the pots. Luckily they always seem to shrug off the root loss by the time they go back out for the summer.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I do not understand the concept of the loose inserts. Just something to get lost or thrown away with the packing.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

There is a note that the leaflets are part of a series and that a binder will be available. Quite a nice idea, especially for those just starting in the hobby.
Mike, as an aside from the main topic, my Echeverias are also like magnets to vine weevil. In the last few years I have used Bug Clear Ultra Vine Weevil Killer, it has to be the one including the last three words, there are two that look similar. I use it as a drench twice a year and it seems to work. Just hope this is not tempting fate! Good luck, Jean
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

Terry S. wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:58 am I do not understand the concept of the loose inserts. Just something to get lost or thrown away with the packing.
The cultivation leaflets will be issued with each journal and will become part of a collectible series. Binders to keep them in will be available in the near future and will be given out free to members signing up to direct debit as a way of renewing rather than sending in a cheque every year.

See page N2 in the NewsLetter section where there is an explanation.

Al
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

iann wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:48 pm Did anyone else get the cultivation sheet inserts?
2 sheets, Gymnos and Aeoniums
SpikyMike wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:21 pm Looks great! And is the new wrapper biodegradable? I hope so
The bottom edge of the address label gives the details - yes, it's compostable.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

My inserts are rather battered and a bit torn.
Not personnally worried but just some feedback to distribution.
David Lambie
Bristol
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

D^L wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:01 pm My inserts are rather battered and a bit torn.
Not personnally worried but just some feedback to distribution.
David Lambie
Bristol
Same with mine - the damage to the cultivation notes didn't appear related to damage to wrapper and no obvious damage to any of the other contents
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Brian »

Another excellent publication. The cultivation inserts is a great idea. I hope that there will be some more “In my greenhouse” soon, this quarter was yet another great report, with the Japan twist which had me checking back I had not misread the article.

Thanks for the hint, Ralph, I missed the ad first skim through.
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

Mine arrived on Thursday, have yet to read it.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Excellent issue! Well done Al and team.

I duly pressed out my membership card, and when I came to write on it, I was surprised to find that my membership number as given on the postal insert with my address was much lower than I had anticipated, and much lower than it had been. Is this a mistake or have we restarted membership numbering??
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html