Detlev
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: March 2019 - Patterns

Post by Detlev »

Ali Baba wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:33 pm Monanthes polyphylla
A wonderful picture that clearly fits the theme of "beautiful mathematical forms". The picture reminds me of the Brassica variety 'Romanesco', whose fractal patterns every mathematician should enjoy.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

I knew I'd set a challenge for you all. But I didn't realise the challenge I'd set myself to choose the winner. There's some wonderful plants out there .... and some super captures of patterns. It's a photo competition and not a plant competition, so therefore, I did judge on composition, selection,focusing and isolation of the subject, lighting and presentation.
All of the entries were commendable. I could have chosen any as winners and runners-up.
Amongst my frontrunners were:
The Astrophytum and "spination" by MattGibbs
The cruciform by AcidJohn
The nonatych (pattern of nine patterns) by SpikyMike
Monanthes polyphylla by AliBaba
The apricot hued blossoms by Sylvia
A special commendation should go to DetLev for the macro photos of seed casings which definitely requires a special skills set.

This month's winning entry is that amongst a bumper bundle from MikeT ... the fifth image [Mammillaria(?) Rebutia(?)]. I loved the fact that he'd seen the circular bud arrangement within the delicate tracery pattern of the spines; captured all of the pattern without losing any; nullified extraneous materials such as labels and pots.

MikeT .... over to you
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Thanks, el48tel

The picture in question is Mammillaria hahniana, looks good in or out of flower.

So for April, Spring is in the air
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525