Newbee to Haworthia, Aloe and Gasteria

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
dazzy2000
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD

Newbee to Haworthia, Aloe and Gasteria

Post by dazzy2000 »

Hi
i have just recieved my seeds for the Haworthia Society and i would like to say a massive thank you to Les for the great communication and the fast delivery that they were recieved.

I'm already a member of the BCSS society and will be joining the Haworthia society very shortly. i have raised many cactus from seed and doing very well but wondered if the Haworthia, Aloe and Gasteria needed different growing techniques as i would hate to ruin the seeds i have been given.

I hear that Haworthia don't need as much heat to germinate and if it is too high this could affect the germination rate. does any one have any tips on seed raising regarding temperature, soil mixes and general care. I have a south facing window and thought the seeds would be fine in this position but will get full sun during the day and cooler at night.

Thank you
Darren
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Newbee to Haworthia, Aloe and Gasteria

Post by Stuart »

There's not much difference though I'd push the seeds vertically half way down rather than leave them on the surface like cacti. it doesn't matter which way up, they'll sort themselves out.
Stuart
dazzy2000
BCSS Member

Post by dazzy2000 »

Thank you stuart I will give it ago.
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

I’m not so sure about having freshly germinated seedlings in full sun all day in a south facing windowsill, but perhaps those with more experience can comment further.
dazzy2000 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:34 pm
I hear that Haworthia don't need as much heat to germinate and if it is too high this could affect the germination rate. does any one have any tips on seed raising regarding temperature, soil mixes and general care. I have a south facing window and thought the seeds would be fine in this position but will get full sun during the day and cooler at night.
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by purzo »

hi Darren, I'd say watch the sun! I lost a lot of newly germinated Haworthia seedlings last year when we had some hot weather early in the year. Like you I had them in a South facing window but in a bathroom. I don't think ventilation was the problem so put the losses down to sunstroke.

The ones I've just set for this year won't get direct sun so I'm hoping they'll fare a bit better. Good luck.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
Christian
BCSS Member

Post by Christian »

I completely agree - keep them cool and shaded for a year and longer, and even with adult plants be very selective which species you expose to prolonged sunshine as not all will take this.

This is a good website to have a look at: http://haworthia-gasteria.blogspot.com/ It gives information on species, some advice on cultivation and lots and lots of habitat pictures.
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
dazzy2000
BCSS Member

Post by dazzy2000 »

Thank you for all the great advice. Think I will be putting in a cooler room or lower down in the greenhouse where it is cooler and less direct sun. Is this the case for aloe and gasteria or can they take more heat.
Christian
BCSS Member

Post by Christian »

Personally, I'd keep them all out of direct sun, and for Haworthia and Gasteria I'd aim for temperatures below 20C. Is it Aloe comosa you are trying to grow? That is the one on the Haw Soc seed list. With such a large genus and optimum conditions for germination will vary - no idea how best to grow that one on...
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
dazzy2000
BCSS Member

Post by dazzy2000 »

Hi christian
yes i have the seeds for Aloe and various others, i will be sowing this weekend.
i notice you are a member of the Birmingham BCSS. i live in Stourbridge and wonder how do you join or where do you have meetings as i'm hooked on Cactus and Succulent and need more to feed my addiction.
thanks
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by AnTTun »

I suggest you also check this topic (in case you haven't already) :

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=168179&p=277876#p277876
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/