One of my favourite growers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
RogerF
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Member

One of my favourite growers

Post by RogerF »

It's a long time since I've heard of Rene Geissler. I was fortunate to have been able to visit three times, ( the first being about 15 or so years ago) each time being welcomed, plied with kindness and advice despite being a newbie, and each time leaving with a boot-load of plants.
A couple of years ago Rene was posting here, having disposed of most of his collection, appealing for Echeverias but nothing since.
Does anybody have any news? And if you're reading this Rene, best wishes and many thanks.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Re: One of my favourite growers

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Roger, I too would like to know how Rene is. As you say, he was very helpful to me in many ways, imparting his knowledge on cultivation, feeding watering etc. If you asked he would invariably come up with a gem of a plant that I could not source at all. Cheers
RogerF
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON

Post by RogerF »

Hi Eric, thanks for replying. Out of 90 views are we the only two with thanks and fond memories?
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Roger, I should have said he is a gentleman as well. Always had a cup of tea and some cake as well. One piece of advice he gave me was to put a shelf up as close to the apex glass for my Ariocarpus. The results are amazing. The pots get to hot too hold lol, but the plants love it. Got some nice seedling pics. If you are interested. Cheers
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

I did manage to send him one the Echeverias he was after, it was an offset from one of the many plants I bought from him mainly at the North West Cactus Mart. There was a thread on the forum about cultivation leaflets which resulted in us exchanging a few emails around the same time (Sep/Oct 2015) but I have heard nothing since
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

I certainly hope he is well. I had many interesting visits to see his plants at Slimbridge, and always came away with both interesting plants, and snippets of useful knowledge. And he could certainly grow some of the trickier plants well.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
John Foster
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Journal Team

Post by John Foster »

One of our branch members saw Rene fairly recently and he seemed well. He has moved from Slimbridge and now has no room to grow plants. He hasn't attended meetings for a couple of years or more.
John Foster
Zone 9 Rep
Gloucester Branch Chairman
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

Good to know, John, thanks!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!