Flowers for Succulentophiles

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Flowers for Succulentophiles

Post by MikeDom »

No blousy cactus flowers here, just honest, simple succulent flowers.

These are some of the flowers in my greenhouse at the moment.

To start, flowers on Cyphostemma betiforme. Plenty of tiny flowers, but a devil to pollinate.

IMG_5327.JPG

Close up of a single flower; best I could do with a handheld phone.

IMG_5328.JPG

Next up is Pachypodium succulentum. All 64 of my flowering plants have different flowers varying in shades of pink and white. Not one single pure white flower - very rare. The Hummingbirds are busy pollinating them in the greenhouse and there will be plenty of free seed available again in early Autumn.

IMG_5324.JPG

Onto the late evening/nightime flowering mesembs.

First up is Stomatium geoffreyii.

IMG_5311.JPG

Next up is Neohenricia spiculata (Mesa 1782.14). The flowers smell of sweet chocolate to attract their nightime pollinators. Hopefully should get some seed, this is quite an old plant.

IMG_5314.JPG

I have far too many plants of Rhinephyllum broomii., here they are mostly 3 plants to a 2.5" pot This is their second year and the flowers are tiny but cute. There were dust clouds of pollen when I was cross-pollinating; I'm not the most delicate of pollinators. The second photo is taken 5 days after they started flowering, so most plants have closed up their flowers already.

IMG_5308.JPG

IMG_5325.JPG

Last but not least is Rhombophyllum dolabriforme, plants in their second year as well. This is the form 10km W of Graaff-Reinet. There is another form tinged red on the back of the petals which is quite spectacular.

IMG_5302.JPG

IMG_5326.JPG
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Flowers for Succulentophiles

Post by Herts Mike »

Hummingbirds? In Gloucester?
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

Herts Mike wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:22 pm Hummingbirds? In Gloucester?
Ok, closest I can get to the size of Hummingbird beaks - a single horsehair. We still burn witches here, you know. :grin:
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Astro
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Astro »

As for the non-paintbrush hummingbirds...

The local hummingbirds love Aloe flowers. I see them flitting around all the time. Echeveria flowers as well (lots of nectar?), the birds stop by them all summer long. I haven't seen them on Haworthia but it's entirely possible the hummingbirds visit them too.
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member

Post by MalcolmP2 »

MikeDom wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:25 pm We still burn witches here, you know. :grin:
Is that because they are not interested in succulents and pictures of them ?
:lolbt: :rolf: where's the emoticon for ducks&runs ?

Very interesting, thank you for posting.

Now all we need is to persuade Herts Mike to re-trip his Aloes for us newcomers,,, that kept their first succulents ( and that other tribe) c1956
Last edited by MalcolmP2 on Wed May 22, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

I shall give it a go and see what happens. Mind you I moved house since then and the collection is somewhat smaller now. Plenty of interest though. Grass Aloes should really get the blood pumping..
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

LOVELY, thats a good looking c.betiforme flowering branch, mine has a few pathetic flowers. I'm taking the Ipad into the GH tomorrow and embarrass it with your photo, is yours in a large pot, do you repot often ?.
Pachypodium succulentum. All 64 of my flowering plants
how big is your greenhouse ??, I only have ONE.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

I was going to say 64 seems incredible.

I have half a dozen Orbea variegata from different sites and that seems over the top.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

That Neohenricia spiculata sounds interesting - I've got a good sized plant of N. sibbettii, but not seen spiculata before.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Nice one Mike, a great collection and pics. of to me unusual succulents. Very well grown, clean and all looking very healthy indeed. Are most of these grown from seed,as I do not see many species for sale in shows etc ? Cheers. ps a friend of mine uses a cats whisker for pollination lol.