Splitting Echinocactus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KarlR
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Splitting Echinocactus

Post by KarlR »

Just came across this article by Vargas-Luna et al.
https://doi.org/10.3897/phytokeys.111.26856

They propose to split Echinocactus in two. A much smaller Echinocactus containing only E. platyacanthus and E. horizonthalonius (+ subsp. nicholii), and an expanded Homalocephala to house the remaining ones: H. polycephala (+ subsp. xeranthemoides), parryi, and texensis.

They also consistently find E. grusonii outside of Echinocactus, nestled in a Ferocactus clade. They use Lodé's combination of Kroenleina grusonii although they caution that it may be premature to use this name until its relationship with Echinocactus and Ferocactus is resolved.

It isn't a wholly new notion, but the genetic and morphological work they've done seems very solid.

They also suggest (pending more work) that it may be likely that there is grounds for recognising an Echinocactus-Ferocactus clade with the likes of E. grusonii/K. grusonii, F. glaucescens, histrix etc.

I am not averse to the change, and the work they've done seems very solid, but it feels a bit strange to have an Echinocactus genus with only platyacanthus and horizonthalonius. It doesn't feel quite natural to me and I'm sure there will be some more changes.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Splitting Echinocactus

Post by Stuart »

Botanists seem to be able to play about with DNA results to prove almost anything, just ignore the results that don't fit in with the desired theory. I've always thought Ferocactus, Echinocactus and Leuchtenbergia could be one genus even though the name Leuchtenbergia would take precedence as the oldest name. At the same time Stenocactus Coptogonus seems a bridging link between Stenocactus and Ferocactus and maybe throw in Thelocactus for good measure. All those genera can be hybridised so they can't be far apart.

Stuart
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

I must have missed this first time around. Just found it now in a search since I thought someone would have mentioned this. So now I have all the Homalocephala species, but only one of the (two) remaining Echinocactus. Of course, almost all the North American species were once called Echinocactus (or Echinocereus), hardly any left now.
Cheshire, UK
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

In the (latest) BCCS journal the name Glandulicactus was also dropped in relation to the same Echinocactus / Kroenleinia / Homalocephala naming suggestions. Which I personally find much weirder.
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

Aiko wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:18 pm In the (latest) BCCS journal the name Glandulicactus was also dropped in relation to the same Echinocactus / Kroenleinia / Homalocephala naming suggestions. Which I personally find much weirder.
What do you mean by dropped?
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Aiko wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:18 pm In the (latest) BCCS journal the name Glandulicactus was also dropped in relation to the same Echinocactus / Kroenleinia / Homalocephala naming suggestions. Which I personally find much weirder.
That's not what I see from that paper. Glandulicactus was unresolved within the Ferocactus/Stenocactus/Thelocactus clade.

Echinocactus. Homalocephala, and Astrophytum form a separate clade. The decision to make/keep that as three separate genera is partly fashion (for not too much lumping), partly the strong differences in the appearance of the plants themselves (eg. Astrophytum have very obvious similarities to eachother and differences from the others). The relationships remain the same and a subtribe is suggested as a way to recognise their closeness.
Cheshire, UK
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

As I've posted before, misquoting Shakespeare, A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. :wink:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

rodsmith wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:28 pm As I've posted before, misquoting Shakespeare, A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. :wink:
:smile: A-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y-!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.