How to propagate Haworthia from leaves

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
trex
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: How to propagate Haworthia from leaves

Post by trex »

Hello, I am new to succulents and I am still learning to grow them. Unfortunately I watered too much one of my Haworthias white ghost and it rot :???: . I unpotted it but there were only 2 good leaves left, I carefully removed them and let them dry for 3 days to heal the wound. Now which is best to do, because I read the whole article and I am confused. Should I leave the leaves in dry place with light (I use indoor grow lights) without any soil (or maybe just laying on the soil?), or should I pot them and spray from time to time? Which method will be best to form plantlets? Also is it possible if all leaves are squishy and not usable to regenerate the plant just from the roots (If properly cleaned from the rot)? Thanks in advance for your help, I love Haworthias :grin:
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

I'd say there is more than just one right answer to your question :) I leave leaves out of anything to dry out for about a week, then put them in clay (most people use sand or cat litter), spray with water on daily basis, and pour some water at the base once a week. This is the part where one should be careful because the leaf / leaves might rot. But I think its not just genetics that should push leaf to grow root, some thirst stimulation should help as well :) Good luck.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
trex
Registered Guest

Post by trex »

AnTTun wrote:I'd say there is more than just one right answer to your question :) I leave leaves out of anything to dry out for about a week, then put them in clay (most people use sand or cat litter), spray with water on daily basis, and pour some water at the base once a week. This is the part where one should be careful because the leaf / leaves might rot. But I think its not just genetics that should push leaf to grow root, some thirst stimulation should help as well :) Good luck.
Thanks, I will follow your directions and hopefully there will be success
Rika
Registered Guest

Post by Rika »

Hi all,

Just wanted to add that Haworthia leaf cuttings do not need to be cut close to the stem or with a part of the stem as shown in the beginning of this thread. I had great results cutting the leaves at their thickest part (half a leaf or so), not even close to the stem. No need to remove roots either. The thick part does not dry out for a very long time and the new roots are stronger for it. The result was 22 plants grown from 2 leaves. The half-leaf cuttings just keep producing more and more little plants. You cut the bigger ones off and the new ones keep coming.
Documented here: https://lithops-stories.blogspot.com/20 ... rthia.html

In fact, there does not even need to be a cut for the root to grow. It can just as well grow from the middle of the leaf surface.

Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I do find it difficult to propagate haworthias from leaves and have had very little success. The leaves tend to just dry away to nothing before there is any rooting. I was given a leaf of one of Marx's hybrids last September, it has had frequent sprays to try to keep it at least semi-turgid and has at last started to produce some roots after about 9 months. I hope that it turns out to be a nice plant after all that wait!
Greenlarry
Registered Guest

Post by Greenlarry »

I wouldn't want to try this. But how about propagating from seed after it flowers? Or will seed not come to type?
You can take the boy out of the greenhouse, but you can't take the greenhouse out of the boy!
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Hybrids and special selections will not come true from seed, that is why you should not attach the name of the mother to seed you produce. You could say A x B or ex-A.

Haworthias are not self-fertile, therefore you need two clones of the same taxon and hand-pollinate them which is not that easy. If you have any humming birds around, they will cross plants for you.