Mammillaria hahniana

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Mammillaria hahniana

Post by Ali Baba »

I grew these from Mesa Garden seed a couple of years ago, now it is time to pot on. However none of them looks hairy! Is that normal at this age?
Attachments
D5CAB033-EBC7-4272-BA7A-D67BD1F9E75A.jpeg
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Mammillaria hahniana

Post by rodsmith »

Hahniana does vary in "hairyness" and you may have seed from a less hairy specimen. See what happens over the next couple of years when they are growing on their own.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

They came with collection number ML496 and described as 'woolly stem' in the seed list so I am hoping they will turn out to be a nice hairy form...I guess time will tell.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

This was my Hahniana in 1984, at 9 years old. I grew it from seed and, although it's a long time ago, I'm pretty sure it wasn't this hairy when small. I think patience is the name of the game. Good luck.
Mammillaria hahniana May 1984.JPG
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

The plants of M. hahniana are quite variable in the degree of hairiness, and some forms, such as ssp. woodsii will never have a mass of hairs though it is a very nice species in its own right, having stronger darker spines and axils with a lot of wool and some hairy bristles, though these vary in number and length, and generally will increase as the plant ages. I'm not surprised that your seedlings are not yet showing this.

According to one source I have ML496 is ssp. woodsii though there are other sources which don't use the subspecies name of ML496. To look at some photos of both habitat plants and plants in collection, of hahniana and hahniana ssp. woodsii look at Mammillaria Forum
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Thanks, I guess it wont be a long haired one then, but as you say still a very attractive plant :grin:
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Ali Baba wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:05 pm Thanks, I guess it wont be a long haired one then, but as you say still a very attractive plant :grin:
I agree that they look like the seedlings of woodsii that I have grown in the past.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH DEVON

Post by Echinocactus123 »

Tony R wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:37 pm
Ali Baba wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:05 pm Thanks, I guess it wont be a long haired one then, but as you say still a very attractive plant :grin:
I agree that they look like the seedlings of woodsii that I have grown in the past.
Yes definitely, I do find they get slightly more fuzzy when exposed to brighter conditions.
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MalcolmP2 »

Ali Baba wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:58 am seed a couple of years ago, now it is time to pot on.
A nice little nest of baby ones :)

An interesting topic, caused me to have a closer look at mine and I see a have big hairy one, a little not very hairy one and an inbetween one.
10397.jpg

I had assumed it was a plant with offsets, I had not thought about it much but on closer inspection I think it might be 4 individuals.
This is what it looked like 2 months ago.
00250.jpg