Second wave of Lithops

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Second wave of Lithops

Post by iann »

Such a variety of flowers from the same basic theme.
Cheshire, UK
David1971
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by David1971 »

Here we have had a heat wave at the end of August/beginning of September, with the result that some pseudotruncatella and gracilidelineata which were with tiny buds aborted. Still, some were able to flower after three weeks paralysed
DSC_7665_01.JPG
DSC_7665_01.JPG (173.08 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
Ivan
Registered Guest

Post by Ivan »

[/i]
iann wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:59 am Such a variety of flowers from the same basic theme.
Here you go. I have quite a few this year. And more buds showing up. Hopefully this beautiful weather continues. I can always use/enjoy more. hint! hint! :wink:

Lithops coleorum
Lithops coleorum
Lithops salicola C037
Lithops salicola C037
Lithops schwantesii subsp. schwantesii var. marthae C249
Lithops schwantesii subsp. schwantesii var. marthae C249

I love this flower colour change.
Lithops verruculosa var. glabra C160
Lithops verruculosa var. glabra C160

Either I've lost my sense of smell or I'm catching them late, but I'm getting very little fragrance from them. Perhaps, faint ?.

*The names were provide to me. If anyone can correct them, please don't hesitate to say so.*
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I don't find scent from all Lithops, but L. salicola and L. verruculosa definitely. The end of a warm afternoon is the best time. I can't smell anything in the evenings because the Stomatiums tend to dominate the whole greenhouse.
Cheshire, UK
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Lithops verruculosa 'Rose of Texas'
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Diane wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:04 pm Lithops verruculosa 'Rose of Texas'

IMG_1002.JPG
Hoping mine might flower tomorrow!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

My L. otzeniana has been flowering but very few of my lithops are showing any sign of buds.
Lithops otzeniana flowers 26 September 2019.JPG
Last edited by rodsmith on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Is it the fluctuating temperature/light/moisture this summer which has caused the changes?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

el48tel wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:43 am Is it the fluctuating temperature/light/moisture this summer which has caused the changes?
Possibly the long spell of very warm nights in the middle of the summer.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

I've had one Lithops flower early in the year and one recently. But I notice that a few others are showing signs of buds. I was hoping the sun these past days might have brought them on ..... but the cold and wet has shut progress down.