EU Plant Passport Scheme

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ragamala
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Re: EU Plant Passport Scheme

Post by ragamala »

agavedave wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:50 am This may be worth a read

https://www.gov.scot/binaries/content/d ... nload=true

Regards
Dave
Thanks for the link. Problem is that it's dated 2007. This was well before the 2016 EU regulation.

But the reference as to who requires registration adds a little more perhaps to our knowledge of a grey area

Passporting registration not required for
"
- an individual growing plants for your own use, including for amateur breeding
programmes
- an organiser or member of a gardening club"

But of course anyway this is a Scottish interpretation of the situation long ago. This is what they say at the moment, which basically defers to DEFRA/APHA

https://www.sasa.gov.uk/plant-passporting-guidance
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

ralphrmartin wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:51 pm I haven't had any reply either, to my email pointing out that only professional operators can issue plant passports, and therefore that amateurs cannot. I'm carrying on as I was before, unless and until they show me convincing, legally valid, evidence that I am doing something wrong - which I am pretty sure they will not be able to do. It's been over a week now, and they have gone very quiet.
Well we had BCSS conference call this evening and I have been tasked with asking further questions of them, given the current lack of response either they are either currently overwhelmed with enquires or they are questioning the advice they have been giving out so far. At least one plant group will no longer be offering a seed list as a result of this. We are also talking to the RHS and others.
ralphrmartin wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:51 pm A further annoyance is that APHA's mis-statements of the rules have gone out to e.g. local garden centres, who now say they can't take plants from anyone without plant passports. I can't blame the garden centres from believing what APHA tell them. I do blame APHA for telling people what they think the rules might say or should say, instead of what they actually say.
The Horticultural Trades Association, the FUW and the NFU are all advising that ALL plants brought in for resale regardless of the source need plant passports.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Seen my first "passport"
20200118_145941.jpg
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Well at least you can legally flog that to someone else, now... :lol:

The pot might be worth a bob or two... :grin:

But I suppose this is no joking matter, really, so I'll shut up.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

ralphrmartin wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:14 pm Well at least you can legally flog that to someone else, now... :lol:

The pot might be worth a bob or two... :grin:

But I suppose this is no joking matter, really, so I'll shut up.
No joking matter most certainly.
Didn't buy it because no name label and a tad pricey.
More importantly .... a really impressive certification document isn't it (not)?
If that's what it's all about ... Heaven help us
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I thought the 'plant passport' had to show the name of the plant rather than a general family name. From what my 'label writer' has read, it has to show the plant name though it can be hand-written as long as in capitals. A small printed card with 'cactaceae' rather than individual plant names would save time though it's only going to be thrown out with the compliment slip when received.
Stuart
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Stuart wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:24 pm I thought the 'plant passport' had to show the name of the plant rather than a general family name. From what my 'label writer' has read, it has to show the plant name though it can be hand-written as long as in capitals. A small printed card with 'cactaceae' rather than individual plant names would save time though it's only going to be thrown out with the compliment slip when received.
Stuart
As may be .... but .... this is a legitimate well known and established business which imports well grown plants which I recognise as being found in other garden centres. I'll certainly be checking in the others in the next few days.
tonyironscacti
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by tonyironscacti »

I believe it needs to display the genus i.e. Mammillaria, Lithops etc.

Some nurseries will be laser printing that on the pots themselves.

Tony.
agavemad
BCSS Member

Post by agavemad »

Stuart wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:24 pm I thought the 'plant passport' had to show the name of the plant rather than a general family name. From what my 'label writer' has read, it has to show the plant name though it can be hand-written as long as in capitals. A small printed card with 'cactaceae' rather than individual plant names would save time though it's only going to be thrown out with the compliment slip when received.
Stuart
It needs to show the family name, i.e. Echeveria, agave etc, it is your choice if you go further than this. If you have mixed plants in one box then you can list them all on the same passport, you also need to keep a record of every passport you issue.
The plant passport scheme is purely about traceability.
If a notifiable disease or pest is found then they need to be able to trace it back to source.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

tonyironscacti wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:46 pm I believe it needs to display the genus i.e. Mammillaria, Lithops etc.

Some nurseries will be laser printing that on the pots themselves.

Tony.
Again as may be .....

English law as explained by my legal friend .....
Politicians write what they think they'd like as law. Courts interpret that when presented with a complaint. It's the latter which becomes "law".
And no .... I'm not complaining about the lack or otherwise of the label from a Netherlands supplier in a UK garden centre.
With regards to the "passport" ...... this time around it's unclear as to what HMG wants .... time will be the arbiter.