Aloe polyphylla germination

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Clarke Brunt
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CHELMSFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Aloe polyphylla germination

Post by Clarke Brunt »

Evidently both Mike and I donated Aloe polyphylla to the seed-list - I wonder if the batches were mixed together, or whether each packet would only contain seed from one batch?

Anyway, of the 50 seeds from my batch, which I started soaking on 17th Jan 2020, 48 had sunk after 3 days. Now awaiting germination, which only really got going after about 28 days when I last did this experiment.

Perhaps I should repeat my experiment with old seed. I've still got some seed from 2009 (and most of the years since). Back in 2013, age up to 4 years didn't seem to make any difference - germinated just as well as the fresh seed with the soaking method.
--
http://www.viridis.net/ Photos of cacti etc. in habitat
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

When mine didn't want to sink I put a spot of detergent in the water.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

I missed out on seed from the BCSS list but I did get some from another source.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but it seemed more sensible than starting another.

It's been in water since 13th December and I've had 5 germinate already. However the first one, after potting into a small pot, has rotted. Are there any tips and tricks to getting them through this stage and growing away?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
agavemad
BCSS Member

Post by agavemad »

I have done a few experiments with Aloe Polyphylla seeds and my best method that has the best germination is;

1) place the seeds of very fine sand paper and place your finger over them, pressing down and scratch them across the paper about half an inch

2) place a piece of kitchen roll in something like a shallow plastic Tupperware tub and wet the paper with boiled water (to reduce algae growth) place the seeds on wet paper and leave on the windowsill out of direct light. Make sure the paper never dries out by topping up with cool boiled water regularly.

3) germination takes from 5 to 60 days and I have had 95% plus germination using this method

4) once the shoot is a few mm carefully transfer to pot, the yellow radical that I was led to believe was the root, is in fact the shoot, so do not bury this completely, just the seed and you can watch it go green :)

5) spray with water on a regular basis, do not soak the pots. You will still lose a few in the transfer process. Out of 20 seeds last year I had 18 germinate and still have 14 young plants
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Thanks Agavemad.

I have been burying the green sprout thinking it was a typical root radicle rather than a shoot! Might need to carefully uncover the last 4 I just potted up!

I've been using hydrogen peroxide washes at 3% every so often to reduce bacterial growth on the seeds and prevent algae forming which seems to be working well. Along with RO water with my orchid fertiliser mix. From a batch of over 20 seeds pit into soak on the 13th December I've had 5 sprout so far without sandpapering them.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I never sandpaper.

Once they are sprouting I make up my usual seed compost, John Innes and vermiculite 50/50. Stand in boiling water then drain. Transplant 3 to a small pot, seal the pot in a clear plastic bag and place in a North facing window until they need transplanting again when they can be treated as normal plants.
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Being one of (very) unlucky ones that have tried to grow polyphilla from seed several times with close to 0 success, I'd like to thank to all that have contributed tips & tricks & thoughts here. Of course, special thanks to Clarke Brunt. Next time I get polyphilla seed I'll try the 'drowning method' :)

Clarke I hope it will be OK to ask for help if I have any doubts and such at that time?
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Edds,
I think the Peroxide is inhibiting the germination, I have 6 sprouted now & mine were sown more recent, a bit of Algae isn't going to hurt them, the water normally discolours after a while its not damaging just a nuisance for viewing.
Sandpaper does seem a bit harsh - I'm too lazy :???:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Thanks Tina. I thought if anything it might break down the seed coat and help with germination. With this source of seed I've no idea how old they are.

I haven't had any algae but have had some bacterial bloom (whitish, wispy growth) on the seeds and have used a quick spray of 3% H2O2 to kill it off and then rinse thoroughly and refill with RO and fertiliser.

I will stop doing them from now on.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Fingers crossed
Tina

Bucks, UK