Zone event at Capel Manor 15th March - cancelled

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL

Zone event at Capel Manor 15th March - cancelled

Post by Stuart »

It's a shame but what would have been the first 'event' of the year looks like it's been cancelled. The Zone mini-convention at Capel Manor on was always a good trip out but with only six weeks to go and only 28 confirmed tickets sold, it appears that this year, on 15th March, it won't be happening. It would probably need twice that number to make it viable. It's a shame because there would have been two 'better than average' speakers and plenty of sales plants at a good venue. It shows that, if planning to attend an event or enter a show, don't leave it until the last minute and risk cancellation. I thought I should mention it here to stop anyone going and planning to pay on the day. It's slightly ironic that this is the first mention of the event on the forum.
Stuart
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Zone event at Capel Manor 15th March - cancelled

Post by Chez2 »

I was going to ask where this had been advertised. Sorry to hear you had to cancel.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

Advert: http://www.zone15.bcss.org.uk/convention.html

Are you sure Stuart? Everybody leaves things until the last minute these days, so now seems very early to decide that there is not enough support?

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble,
Zone 6
Keith L
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Keith L »

I had notification from Eddy today that it is cancelled.

Keith
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I heard on Tuesday, seemed a bit strange with about seven weeks to go, the only publicity I was aware of was a mention in the news section of the December Cactus World. My only involvement was with providing nursery sales but I've been to quite a few of the Capel Manor events, they're well organised, it's a good venue with gardens to look round and they put on quite a decent buffet. Publicity on the Forum combined with Facebook etc might have helped?
Stuart
brianc
BCSS Member
Branch: CHESTER & District
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by brianc »

I also heard about it on tuesday night when i saw eddie at chelmsford meeting, he had the list of names with
him i was surprised at who were missing. As the society is trying to attract younger members i was wondering
if perhaps the word convention was putting newer members off. It is sad because once these events are stopped
they are hard to start up again. Perhaps a less stuffy title would attract more support?.
Brianc.
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

If the word convention bothers the next generation how are they going to cope with Bradleya or should that change its name?
Acid John
GregoryBulmer
BCSS Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman

Post by GregoryBulmer »

In addition to social media and the zone website don't forget about advertising in CactusWorld, going out to a readership of c. 3,000 people already interested in C & S - discounts for branch and zone events...
Greg
Member since 2012
Cold hardy cacti and slow growers.
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Good thinking Gregory. I always scan the ads in Cactusworld, it is a good reminder if nothing else.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Chez2
BCSS Member

Post by Chez2 »

Acid John wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:47 pm If the word convention bothers the next generation how are they going to cope with Bradleya or should that change its name?
You are correct, it bothers people. I'm not quite sure what age group you are referring to though. It seems to put people off from age fifty and under (in my experience). I know the word 'Society' puts people off so I always refer to branch meetings as the 'cactus club'. It isn't the fact that they can't "cope". Its the fact that they aren't so serious about 'collecting', they just like plants.

Unfortunately I have found quite a few members intolerant and disrespectful of anyone who isn't a greenhouse collector. We grow from seed but we use our plants in the house and garden. To me its a waste to leave a beautiful plant in the polytunnel. The Society and its members need to respect and cater for everyone if it is to survive.