Question about the 2020 National Show

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Question about the 2020 National Show

Post by Tina »

That will be up to the board of trustees, if the government puts in a size restriction re people meeting for events I guess it will be cancelled. The arena is booked three years in advance so
It would not be easy to re arrange.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Tina wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:15 am That will be up to the board of trustees, if the government puts in a size restriction re people meeting for events I guess it will be cancelled. The arena is booked three years in advance so
It would not be easy to re arrange.
That .... is exactly my point
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
davidfair
BCSS Member
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by davidfair »

The current estimate for death rates in 70-79 y olds getting the Covid19 is 8%. I guess the average age of people showing cacti is over 70. So there are two scenarios for how things will look in July 2020:
1. The population has pretty much much been fully saturated by exposure to Covid 19 and 8% or so of those who would have shown plants are no longer with us.
2. The government's plans to slow the spread of virus have worked in which case the Show will either be cancelled by martial law, or if it is still allowed to occur a large number of cactus enthusiasts who haven't yet caught the virus will be voluntarily self-isolating.
I'm thinking that 2020 is going to be a write-off for a lot of things. I hope I'm wrong.
David
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

What age do you have to reach before you stop worrying that everything is going to kill you? Just asking for a friend 😳
Acid John
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

davidfair wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:45 pm So there are two scenarios for how things will look in July 2020:
Acid John wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:00 am What age do you have to reach before you stop worrying that everything is going to kill you? Just asking for a friend 😳
According to media reports the government is planning banning over-70s from attending large gatherings, which gives you, David, scenario 3. On the face of it, this might kill off the show. Alternatively push up the marshalling costs as stewards check photo ID of everybody with grey hairs. I expect a rush on hair dye.

More seriously, it seems the government health advisers are working on a mid-figure of around 100,000 deaths from coronavirus.

To answer the question Acid J - equally seriously - I am over 70 but still looking forward to enjoying quite a few more years of healthy life. Like perhaps most people, I don't want these chopped off by some additional threat to my health, especially if an inadequate government response is adding to my vulnerability.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

I think, Ragamala, you have made an extremely valid point .... not wanting to be deprived of time by the (mis)calculations of a team of civil servants. What is the collective noun for that cohort?
I thank David Fair for his sharing of the latest medical thinking, again this is not fact because daily we are being given information about cases of infection which do not fit the previous patterns.
I too was looking forward to a prestigious event, but I think the inevitable will be upon us too soon.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Collective noun for civil servants, a 'wunch', similar to the one for bankers. If we exclude Daily Mail readers, there must be some optimism somewhere on the Forum mustn't there?
Stuart
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Stuart wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:03 pm Collective noun for civil servants, a 'wunch', similar to the one for bankers. If we exclude Daily Mail readers, there must be some optimism somewhere on the Forum mustn't there?
Stuart
Stuart,
Good word (although I had to Google its origin). I was thinking similarly, but slightly more politely, but definitely prefer your offering.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

And to think I was a Civil Servant for ten years before I escaped to the exciting world of cacti. The occupation 'Government Service' used to look good on a passport though!
Stuart
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Stuart wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:17 pm And to think I was a Civil Servant for ten years before I escaped to the exciting world of cacti. The occupation 'Government Service' used to look good on a passport though!
Stuart
Sanity ruled OK