Which seeds have you ordered this year?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Which seeds have you ordered this year?

Post by Herts Mike »

Why are you called Agavemad then? :lol:
agavemad
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by agavemad »

Herts Mike wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:21 pm Why are you called Agavemad then? :lol:
I have way too many agave :) I had to clear quite a few this year to make space for re-potting :)
agavemad
BCSS Member

Post by agavemad »

Tina wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:18 pm Wow thats a lot of Echeveria, fingers crossed for good germination
Germination has been good on most I have 6 pots with no germination and 3 with low germination, :)
agavemad
BCSS Member

Post by agavemad »

juster wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:03 pm Some very attractive hybrids there, I especially like the last one.
Thank you :) I like that cross so much I did it again last year, but they are still quite small.
What I have noticed is a percentage look like the mother plant in this case Romeo, and a percentage look like the father, derenbergii, the ones that look like derenbergii when small end up looking like this as they mature a bit.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Why are you called Agavemad then?
Echie mad doesn't have the right sound to it, I'm sure he will get over this phase & come back to the 'agave side' (tu) :grin:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
agavemad
BCSS Member

Post by agavemad »

Tina wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:22 am
Why are you called Agavemad then?
Echie mad doesn't have the right sound to it, I'm sure he will get over this phase & come back to the 'agave side' (tu) :grin:
I am still mad about agave :) but becoming just a little obsessed with echeveria :oops:
daydreamer
BCSS Member

Post by daydreamer »

Has anyone received seeds ordered from the latest Cactus-Hobby Brno (Jaromir Dohnalik) list? I placed an order in early December and received a confirmation, but nothing since.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Slightly "off-piste" .... if one receives seeds now (or say within the next couple of weeks) ..... would one have sufficient time remaining this year to get them to sufficient size?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
daydreamer
BCSS Member

Post by daydreamer »

I have a heated propagator with lights (a Vitopod), and further unheated benching equipped with the same type of lights in a spare room in the house for any overflows. Normally I would have sown all my cacti and summer-growing succulents by now. However, I grow the seedlings on through their first winter under the lights, relying on the central heating for heat, and take them out to the greenhouse the following spring. So, I will probably sow any seeds I get from Dohnalik, certainly if they arrive in the next month or so.
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

el48tel wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:59 am Slightly "off-piste" .... if one receives seeds now (or say within the next couple of weeks) ..... would one have sufficient time remaining this year to get them to sufficient size?
Yes, no problem, I don't normally sow any cactus seed until May.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium