Coronavirus and your branch

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
nobby
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Coronavirus and your branch

Post by nobby »

Hi to all of you,

as we can see here, we all have the same problems.
It is not a British but also a European and even worldwide problem. In Germany all meetings, conventions and plant sales have been cancelled for the next weeks.
We had quite a few invitations to give talks all over Germany and the neighbour countries which have all been cancelled. So we decided to create short presentations that we offer online to all who are interested in such topics.

We asked other people all over Europe to join us and either make a presentation or helping us with translations. In times of Corona virus nearly all borders are closed and we are asked to keep the distance. But on the internet we can keep in touch without fear and we should do this! On our webpage

http://www.netzmanager.de/

you can see what we have published already. We know the very good quality of British speakers and their excellent talks. Thus, we would highly appreciate your engagement.

Join us to turn a time of isolation into a time of inspiration!

Lisi and Nobby
Last edited by Tony R on Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected the link, Norbert, as it was not working correctly. Best, Tony Roberts
Peter B
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Peter B »

This seems a good place to put this post. As of immediately following government and society guidelines and to protect myself at my advanced age pot sales will be suspended temporarily. I will watch progress and post when I can see it appropriate to start selling again. For the moment I will say I am closed till July 31st but will update when appropriate. I thank all members who have bought pots since we were able to offer them again and I look forward to renewing the facility.
Peter B,
Manchester Branch Chairman
NCSS/BCSS member since late 1960's - strong interest in mesembs in general and Lithops in particular, Haworthias and enjoy growing all forms of cacti & succulents
David_K
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by David_K »

Northampton and Milton Keynes branch has suspended all meetings until further notice.
Lets hope we can get back to normal as soon as possible.
David Kirkbright
Society Treasurer & Trustee,
Northants and MK Branch
Long time grower (not always well) of almost anything.
Visitors welcome but check first.
JST
BCSS Member
Branch: COVENTRY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by JST »

Cornwall Branch have cancelled all meetings for the moment, which includes our annual show. Stay safe everyone
BCSS member 49864
KathNightingale
BCSS Member
Branch: LUTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by KathNightingale »

Further to my previous post on 19th March, Luton Branch meetings have now been cancelled for the foreseeable future.
IvorC
BCSS Member

Post by IvorC »

Manchester branch meeting took place today at the normal date and time for the April meeting but via Zoom. We thank John Arnold for his presentation on his Argentinian Adventures. We had 24 'attendees' including 17 branch members, one of whom is housebound and has not been able to attend a meeting for over 2 years. Several guests joined us including 3 from Glasgow branch and 1 from Macclesfield branch and we are grateful for their help and support in planning this meeting. We were also joined by a former branch member now living in Wales and a guest from Bolivia. Winner of the plant of the month was Jo Adderley. Unfortunately, the raffle was cancelled. Several attendees stayed on to chat for over an hour after the conclusion of the meeting. It appears to have been a success and we hope to continue our branch meetings by this method during lockdown.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

IvorC wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:06 pm Manchester branch meeting took place today at the normal date and time for the April meeting but via Zoom. We thank John Arnold for his presentation on his Argentinian Adventures. We had 24 'attendees' including 17 branch members, one of whom is housebound and has not been able to attend a meeting for over 2 years. Several guests joined us including 3 from Glasgow branch and 1 from Macclesfield branch and we are grateful for their help and support in planning this meeting. We were also joined by a former branch member now living in Wales and a guest from Bolivia. Winner of the plant of the month was Jo Adderley. Unfortunately, the raffle was cancelled. Several attendees stayed on to chat for over an hour after the conclusion of the meeting. It appears to have been a success and we hope to continue our branch meetings by this method during lockdown.
As an attendee - I echo Ivor's comments - an excellent meeting and I'm looking forward to future ones - thanks for arranging this meeting in this fashion
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

IvorC wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:06 pm Manchester branch meeting took place today at the normal date and time for the April meeting but via Zoom. We thank John Arnold for his presentation on his Argentinian Adventures. We had 24 'attendees' including 17 branch members, one of whom is housebound and has not been able to attend a meeting for over 2 years. Several guests joined us including 3 from Glasgow branch and 1 from Macclesfield branch and we are grateful for their help and support in planning this meeting. We were also joined by a former branch member now living in Wales and a guest from Bolivia. Winner of the plant of the month was Jo Adderley. Unfortunately, the raffle was cancelled. Several attendees stayed on to chat for over an hour after the conclusion of the meeting. It appears to have been a success and we hope to continue our branch meetings by this method during lockdown.
It was brilliant to be able to have a meeting last night via Zoom. As an attendee it appeared to run like clockwork.

I do know, however, from helping Ivor sort out the initial teething problems while setting things up in the week or so before the meeting that a lot of work went on before hand between Ivor and John to make sure the technical side of it worked out OK.

Some of us were using PC's, others laptops and some others iPad's and tablets or smart phones. John, the speaker, was presenting his slides via his iPad, yet we could all see them in brilliant quality.

Thank you again Ivor and John for getting the meeting sorted. (tu) (tu) (tu)
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Rob »

Yes, well done Ivor, Peter, John and all at Manchester, we 'attended' too. Enjoyable evening, although we couldn't stay on as Stig wanted to go for his evening constitutional. We managed to fix our laptop up to the tv to get an even better view.

Looking forward to more of these style meetings.
Rob
BCSS member since 1980.
Plant Heritage National Collection of Turbinicarpus.
BCSS Conservation Committee member.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: Coronavirus and your branch: Zoom Meetings & Videos

Post by Apicra »

I hope I am wrong, but suspect local BCSS branch meetings will be impractical to hold for many months to come, so we are lucky to have BCSS Zoom Presentations, currently weekly, as advertised elsewhere:

https://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... om#p289581

The C&S Society of America have made many videos of interesting presentations at their biennial national conventions available. On their home page, there are ~twenty ranging from Agaves to Lithops, Brazil to South Africa, Matucanas to Sansevierias, all by internationally known speakers. Cheer yourself up by watching a few!

http://cactusandsucculentsociety.org/

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble