Nice pots- with plants (No clay/plastic)

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ernie
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Nice pots- with plants (No clay/plastic)

Post by Ernie »

Having started the thread and seen some very nice examples perhaps I can now ask this question
what are the odds of the BCSS ever following the American model?
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
Colin Walker
Branch: None

Post by Colin Walker »

Ernie wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:58 pm Having started the thread and seen some very nice examples perhaps I can now ask this question
what are the odds of the BCSS ever following the American model?
Ernie, we're slowly but surely moving in that direction. As you're aware Marjorie and I sponsored the new class at the last National Show for a plant in an aesthetically pleasing container, which resulted in the largest number of entries any class has ever had. So members are truly interested in attractive presentation.

However, I encountered some strong negative opposition from quarters I'm not prepared to name in public, since I am El Presidente after all. :grin:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

I have just broken up my large clump of Haw. truncata. I am now left with many correctly shaped pieces (long and narrow.) In the spirit of this thread, thought I would put one or two in a suitable ceramic vessel. Found this. Think it will do the job lol Cheers. ps got to drill a hole in bas
image.jpeg
e first. Got to keep Colin happy.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Can,t work out how my post has appeared at the end of this thread ?
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Eric Williams wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:13 pm I have just broken up my large clump of Haw. truncata. I am now left with many correctly shaped pieces (long and narrow.) In the spirit of this thread, thought I would put one or two in a suitable ceramic vessel. Found this. Think it will do the job lol Cheers. ps got to drill a hole in basimage.jpeg e first. Got to keep Colin happy.
If you have never drilled ceramic previously ..... put a piece of old fashioned elastoplast on the spot where you want to drill. Don't use hammer drill settings. Use a low speed. Don't use pressure. Gently is the word.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi el48tel, no I have not yet had a a go. Some ceramic pots are not glazed on the base, but this one is. Great tip thanks. If all goes well,will upload pot plus plant lol. Cheers
wildedges
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by wildedges »

I'm not sure if these count but I took a photo while they were out enjoying some early spring sunshine.

el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Eric Williams wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:26 am Hi el48tel, no I have not yet had a a go. Some ceramic pots are not glazed on the base, but this one is. Great tip thanks. If all goes well,will upload pot plus plant lol. Cheers
Eric
The best type of drill bit is a glaziers' drill bit, but that might be difficult to locate with the lockdown. A masonry bit drilled very very slowly should work - the problem is if the pot gets too hot with drilling - then it can shatter or the exit side of the hole crazes and the hole becomes jagged. Glazed pots are often more difficult than un-glazed -- that's why the sticking plaster is useful - it stops the drill sliding at low speeds until it bites through the glaze into the ceramic body.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by purzo »

el48tel wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:04 pm The best type of drill bit is a glaziers' drill bit,
I have a small selection of tile drill bits which also work quite well for this purpose, drill slowly and use some kind of tape where the hole is going to be to stop the bit sliding about to begin with, as el48tel says.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

el48tel wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:22 pm If you have never drilled ceramic previously ..... put a piece of old fashioned elastoplast on the spot where you want to drill. Don't use hammer drill settings. Use a low speed. Don't use pressure. Gently is the word.
I've used sellotape in the past, but elastoplast will probably do better at stopping the drill bit sliding about. As has been commented, once it's started drilling through the glaze it stops sliding around. A sharp bit is MUCH easier than a blunt one.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525