Root mealys...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Root mealys...

Post by Stuart »

Strange stuff root mealies, after ELK I have a short trip to the Netherlands and usually buy a few trays of grafting stock from one of the wholesale nurseries. I used to save the tops and reroot them but it's not worth the space it takes up. Whenever I buy anything overseas I always take a few plants out from various parts of a tray to check for root mealy. Sometimes the plants can be really badly infested with root mealy yet the actual plants are thriving and show no signs of root mealy in their top growth. I've found this with a few of the plants I buy at ELK, a great place for picking up root mealy and I can't inspect the plants before I buy. The plants are growing well, look fine yet are full of root mealy. My treatment has been to give the roots a spray with the old type Provado that included imidacloprid, no longer available unfortunately. As Terry says, malathion and similar nerve agents are so harmful that we're not allowed to buy them for garden use but can buy them to rub them into our childrens' heads. (Not mine, they're a bit old for that). Last thought on root mealy - you can smell it! If I smell a musty sort of smell on continental plants, similar to the smell inside a mushroom shed when I used to have summer jobs as a teenager, there will be root mealy bug. Taking off all the compost and treating the roots isn't really necessary, as Terry says, a compost drench will work well.
Stuart
Flayzerflay
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Flayzerflay »

Stuart that is interesting about the smell, i always thought it smelled like 20 year old grandad aftershave :D

In asia they use StarkleG , purple crystal powder but i have neve never managed to get any, i suspect it's banned
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Brian »

That is interesting Stuart. Our local garden centre has had beautiful mother in laws tongue x different versions. The picture of health. Bought one for my daughter. When repotting for her I found the roots were absolutely jam packed with root mealy. It had me baffled.
MrSlinkyDragon
BCSS Member
Branch: MAIDSTONE & MEDWAY

Post by MrSlinkyDragon »

I checked the rest of my plants today, turns out i might of over watered my aloidendron... at least i got it in time! (Root prune, dusted with copper mix to kill any fungus and fresh compost and itll be alright as it has new roots growing :)
If i like it, ill grow it. If it doesn't grow i try again

Member of maidstone and medway
Member number 52896
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Would an overnight soak in soapy water work ?, one of my bonsai contacts does this for all new tree's to kill vine weevil grubs
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Certainly won't harm.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

I agree with cactus girl for a small infestation. Artist paint brush and meths. Best solution is to put new plants in isolation, and if possible check plants as frequently as possible. For root mealy you can dip roots in meths too. Cheers
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Years ago, the cure for root mealies used to be to add a few crystals of paradichlorobenzene in the bottom of a pot when repotting. I'm not sure if you can still buy it but it made the greenhouse smell like a cross between a public toilet and aftershave. I only tried it once. Not recommended.
Stuart
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Don’t just think root mealies come in with new purchases.
Check your outdoor pots and borders, you might be surprised to find they are your source of reinfection
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Yes, you can still buy Paradichlorobenzene in the form of mothballs, but it is recommended to be used in a closed environment only as the fumes are toxic. I agree with Stuart, not recommended lol. Cheers