Root mealys...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
habanerocat
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Root mealys...

Post by habanerocat »

Don't forget @Paul D's "boil them alive" article as posted in the recent journal.

Can't link that article unfortunately, but it's mentioned here....

https://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=167983
MrSlinkyDragon
BCSS Member
Branch: MAIDSTONE & MEDWAY

Post by MrSlinkyDragon »

when it comes to using Compo BI 58, what is the best dosage to use? i cant read german!
If i like it, ill grow it. If it doesn't grow i try again

Member of maidstone and medway
Member number 52896
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Cactusgirl wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:02 pm Since I started using diatomaceous earth in the potting mix and on the benches root mealy bugs have been almost wiped out in my collection of around 600 plants. I know this because ive repotted 95% this year. Last year i also used Bug Ultra weevil killer twice during the summer season and will do same again this year. I do check the plants individually as often as I can all year round and any leaf mealies I use a tiny paintbrush dipped in pink meths to turn the bug black! 😁
At what sort of percentage in the mix do you add DE?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
Branch: CORNWALL

Post by Cactusgirl »

I sprinkle a teaspoon of DE into each pot when repotting. I also sprinkle it around the trays the pots sit on, on the staging.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Some growers only use mineral composts which contain no organic matter at all. This eradicates nearly all pests that live in pots. Cheers
Ross M
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Ross M »

Eric Williams wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:44 am Some growers only use mineral composts which contain no organic matter at all. This eradicates nearly all pests that live in pots. Cheers
That's certainly been my experience. When repotting, the only root mealy bugs to be found were on roots which retained part (even a tiny part) of the original organic material. All other parts of the roots were completely clear.
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

As someone using a 1:1 moler:grit mix, I can tell you that it definitely doesn't eradicate/prevent root mealybugs.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Ross M
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Ross M »

Phil_SK wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:53 am As someone using a 1:1 moler:grit mix, I can tell you that it definitely doesn't eradicate/prevent root mealybugs.
Perhaps it depends on the nature of the material? I was using crushed Cornish granite. When I grew in pure cat litter it made no difference. Sorry I should have been more specific :oops:
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.