Anyone else got this waterholic

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ernie
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Anyone else got this waterholic

Post by Ernie »

Mestoklema tuberosum. This large old plant drinks water by the litre. If I don't do it nearly everyday at this time of the year it protests by lowering the stems. Has anyone else grown this and found it needs lot of water. Must do some research about its natural habitat. BTW My compost is very open/free draining. No sooner has the tray filed with water the plant sucks it up.
DSCN6729.JPG
DSCN6731.JPG
DSCN6732.JPG
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Re: Anyone else got this waterholic

Post by Tina »

Hi Ernie
Yes I have this but mine has a big lumpy caudex & white flowers.
All the succulents are soo thirsty ATM, I think my arm has got longer from dragging the watering can around :lol:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Peter B
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Peter B »

I also, have one with a huge caudex. I put it outdoors as soon as there is no danger of frost and it stays there till mid to late September depending on frosts arriving again. Thus it takes all the rain that is thrown at it plus regular watering if we experience a long dry spell.
Peter B,
Manchester Branch Chairman
NCSS/BCSS member since late 1960's - strong interest in mesembs in general and Lithops in particular, Haworthias and enjoy growing all forms of cacti & succulents
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Although it is succulent, it normally operates with its stomata open during the day. So it is effectively as thirsty as a non-CAM plant, although it can survive extended periods of dry soil if it has to. Think how much you'd have to water a regular potted shrub of that size. Worth it, though!
Cheshire, UK
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

no danger of frost
we had frost about 2 weeks ago for a few night :eek: & my crassula gollum has lost it's top branches, its gone back in the greenhouse
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.