Scrap plants

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Peter
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Scrap plants

Post by Peter »

Deformed, disease ridden, various bugs in various nooks and crannies and half forgotten in the spare greenhouse that serves as the place where such plants go before they get chucked out. Death row!

But - what's this?......
P1000724.JPG
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Scrap plants

Post by Paul in Essex »

Ideal candidates for a trial outside border, I reckon. You have absolutely nothing to lose except the effort of making the bed. :)
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

Good idea Paul, and certainly worth a try. Shropshire's a cold county (albeit lovely) but I should be able to find a suitable sheltered spot.
davidfair
BCSS Member
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by davidfair »

I have a 'scrap' huge epiphyllum which I left outside completely unprotected since last Summer hoping it would die over winter. To be honest I couldn't face carrying it back under cover. The damn thing is still alive and is now covered with flowers. I'll have to hope next winter is a lot colder!
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Philosophical question ... the plants are living organisms, do we have any right to decide that they are "scrap". If the object was a human, then the decision would be considered as genocide (at best); if this was an animal, we'd have animal rights and RSPCA at our heels.

On a lighter but practical thought .... is there no home to take them ... an eager youngster etc?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

el48tel wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:21 pm On a lighter but practical thought .... is there no home to take them ... an eager youngster etc?
I always wonder about how easily some people get rid of plants and chuck them away. If you don't want them, just give them away. An easy way to get rid of plants is to just put them in front of your house on the sidewalk, add a note saying it is a free plant for anyone that want to give it a good home and it will be gone in hours if not minutes.
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH DEVON

Post by Echinocactus123 »

I find things very hard to let things go and the thought of throwing away plants just makes me feel sad. I'm not saying it's bad but I'm just saying that I get very attached to my plants.

It is important to also try not to humanize plants, they do not have the capacity to think and feel pain. No brain, just reflexes and DNA instructions to grow and reproduce.

But yes, I think the best option is trying to give away or sell your 'scrap' plants to another person who has the passion to take up the responsibility of the plant you can't or dont want to care for. You can always request a swap or ask if anybody wants it here, on the forum. There are many, many people I'm sure would love some plants, but that's just my opinion.
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

Aiko wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:04 pm
el48tel wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:21 pm On a lighter but practical thought .... is there no home to take them ... an eager youngster etc?
I always wonder about how easily some people get rid of plants and chuck them away. If you don't want them, just give them away. An easy way to get rid of plants is to just put them in front of your house on the sidewalk, add a note saying it is a free plant for anyone that want to give it a good home and it will be gone in hours if not minutes.
I heard a story once - can't remember where - someone was trying to give a child's bike away and had left it outside on the street for days with a "free" notice attached to it. No one seeming to want it for free they put a "For Sale £10" notice on it and it was gone by the following morning....... :shock: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by Chris L on Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Did they leave the money behind?
Flayzerflay
Registered Guest

Post by Flayzerflay »

How bad would we all feel if science proved plants can feel rejected? :lol: :sad: thinking about this lately and perhaps rather than "scrap" or "hope it would die" how about " i failed to grow you properly and will release you to the ground in a suitable place"

Like when i hear someone say " thin out seedlings and compost them" how about thin out seedlings and put them in a bucket or large scrap container so they can live, they may even surprise you as they have. :cac4: