Scrap plants

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Scrap plants

Post by el48tel »

Flayzerflay wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:46 am How bad would we all feel if science proved plants can feel rejected? :lol: :sad: thinking about this lately and perhaps rather than "scrap" or "hope it would die" how about " i failed to grow you properly and will release you to the ground in a suitable place"

Like when i hear someone say " thin out seedlings and compost them" how about thin out seedlings and put them in a bucket or large scrap container so they can live, they may even surprise you as they have. :cac4:
Releasing any non native species into the environment is a no-no .... even a criminal offence in some countries
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH DEVON

Post by Echinocactus123 »

el48tel wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:17 am
Flayzerflay wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:46 am How bad would we all feel if science proved plants can feel rejected? :lol: :sad: thinking about this lately and perhaps rather than "scrap" or "hope it would die" how about " i failed to grow you properly and will release you to the ground in a suitable place"

Like when i hear someone say " thin out seedlings and compost them" how about thin out seedlings and put them in a bucket or large scrap container so they can live, they may even surprise you as they have. :cac4:
Releasing any non native species into the environment is a no-no .... even a criminal offence in some countries
:cry: no please
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
Flayzerflay
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Flayzerflay »

So death or wish or death is better than giving it back to nature?, we are not talking about Japanese Knotweed here folks, we are talking about that same cactus abandoned in the front yard just because one does not like the look of it, well it wants to live and passing to someone else for free in the eyes of the law of causality if that person plants it in the ground you are responsible haha.
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

Plants, being living things, die. I used to get upset when I lost a plant, but now I just shrug my shoulders and move on. It's a good thing to get rid of an old and diseased, or of course, a dead plant. It releases space for a replacement. After a lifetime of growing plants I've got to be rather hard about it.
jhb
BCSS Member

Post by jhb »

I'm not sure I could scrap the plants in flower, just lovely
Jayne H.B.
Growing Mamms, Turbs, Ario`s & a bit of most genera in darkest North Devon. Love Lithops too.Now getting hooked on Haworthia`s & Cono`s.