The big beast awakens- and its small cousin.Adeniums

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ernie
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

The big beast awakens- and its small cousin.Adeniums

Post by Ernie »

This Adenium is a big beast. There's as much in the pot as on the top. Its decided to wake up and give me a flower.
The other one is a much smaller plant but its given me a nice display of flowers.
DSCN6814.JPG
DSCN6815.JPG
DSCN6816.JPG
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
Ernie
BCSS Member

Re: The big beast awakens- and its small cousin.Adeniums

Post by Ernie »

I forgot to mention that I purchased the big Adenium from Uhlig cacti in Germany last year. They always cut back the stems each year. I will probably let them grow out.

I wondered if Tina spotted the Adsonia next to it? It has decided to grow well after sulking for many months.
Deltron
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Deltron »

Ernie, I'm not sure if I've ever seen an Adenium as green as that. Looks very healthy. Will be great to lift it a bit in future and see what lurks beneath!
Ernie
BCSS Member

Post by Ernie »

When I potted it up I considered leaving more of the root stock exposed. Its massive. I feed it with Uhligs succulent fertilzer at the recommended doze.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Uhlig is a reputable company, so I guess that big plant was field-grown somewhere warm and then dug up and everything chopped off to make it easy to export. When you look at the stem of an adenium, the old epidermis is silvery and then it splits asunder to reveal the greener epidermis underneath. The greenness of your plant might reflect the speed with which it was grown.
Ernie
BCSS Member

Post by Ernie »

Interersting. Thank you.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Ernie,
They look lovely,the second one has unusual shaped leaves & a lovely colour. I do have 4 adeniums but I'm still waiting for a decent flower to show you .
yes I spotted the adansonia, need a better photo plz, its on my wish list so if you get bored of it :wink: :wink:.

Did you spot your ex-pseudobombax in the National ?, looks good now doesn't it, a bit like a green shelled tortoise
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Ernie
BCSS Member

Post by Ernie »

Hi Tina. Yes I spotted the bombax! I am pleased you saved it. I bitterly regret selling my collection when you got that one but thats me, done it three times in the last 30 years odd years. I also spotted the large Pelargonium triste I sold at that time. I recall Colin saying he had never seen one so big. Not many years left now to harbour regrets, I will just enjoy the new collection.(such as it)
Here's to photos of the Adsonia. There's as a big clump of thick root in the pot and really it out to be in a long tom.
If I have another funny turn and sell up you can buy it. :lol:
DSCN6823.JPG
DSCN6825.JPG
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Its an odd un, like a walking man, have you had it long ?, as Colin says 'a plant only its parent could love' :wink: .

the bombax took a few years before it established roots after the problem with rot but all good now
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Ernie,
Here's a few of mine, who needs flowers when you are variegated, it never grew well in the greenhouse but loves my sunny windowsill.
Are you generous with water & feed, I was told they flower more with less fussing, not that house plants get fusses as much as GH babies.
ad obesum variegate 7_20.jpg
This was an impulse buy pre ELK from the car park I always seem to buy ODD plants then as you get 'plant hungry'.
Its labeled 'adenium frog', its a bit ugly even by my standards & slightly variegated, not flowered for me yet.
adenium frog 7_20.jpg
Tina

Bucks, UK