Frailea Castanea "buds"

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JonNo
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Frailea Castanea "buds"

Post by JonNo »

My little Frailea Castanea keeps on churning out flower buds, but they never open... They just keep stacking up and of course the top ones then fall away. I've read this is because they self pollinate and therefore often don't open but rather just become seed pods.

Problem is, I now have a handful of seed pods but I'm not really interested in seed, I'd like a flower! So, my question is, are there any "tips and tricks" that might work to get a bud to open?...
P9170064.JPG
Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Frailea Castanea "buds"

Post by Diane »

Yes, they need plenty of sun (probably not possible indoors), heat and I think high humidity plays a part too. The few I have in the greenhouse have flowered in the last week or so, after hot weather.
Frailea sp.
Frailea sp.
Frailea asteroides
Frailea asteroides
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

They are beautiful Diane, I am envious!

Mine sits in the South facing lounge window in the daytime. When the sun is out, because it is shining directly on the plants through glass (and the Frailea is front and centre in prime position) it gets very hot indeed, quite often over thirty degrees I'm sure, in fact I've had to move a couple of plants because they were scorching... Even the Mealy Bugs wear sombreros. I guess it must be the humidity level I'm failing on then.

Ah well... I'll just have to admire yours!
Russell99
Registered Guest

Post by Russell99 »

As Diane says you need high humidity and heat.( I don't give mine a lot of light as other cacti also, I keep the. Fraileas green in colour ). I also water these types more often( every 5 days, this depends on the weather)
Russell, just a 17 year old cacti, succulent and orchid collector.
From Sri Lanka (tropical climate)
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

Russell99 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:04 pm As Diane says you need high humidity and heat.( I don't give mine a lot of light as other cacti also, I keep the. Fraileas green in colour ). I also water these types more often( every 5 days, this depends on the weather)
Hi Russell, sadly high humidity levels is one thing I can't achieve in my lounge... Looks like I'm stumped!