Aeonium 'Mardi Gras' Variations

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL

Aeonium 'Mardi Gras' Variations

Post by Stuart »

Aeoniums clearly to be flavour of the month. I've been growing 'Mardi Gras' since it first became available in 2014 and it soon branches when cut. All my plants are the same clone but I've had a few colour changes over the years.
aeonium mardi gras a.JPG
The one on the left has grown with very pale pink colour whilst the one on the right has produced a normal head though with different shaped leaves and different from 'Velour' one of the parents.
aeonium mardi gras c.JPG
This one has gone the opposite way to the pale pink one and has very deep colours, again different to the original but all produced from the same plant. It's easy to see where all the new Aeonium names come from with plants that produce such variations. 'Mardi Gras' generally is quite stable and these odd forms are fairly rare though once formed, they seem to propagate with stable branching. Although the colours vary with the seasons, and probably also vary for those who keep these plants growing through the winter, the three different forms shown here were all photographed today. All credit really should go to the American lady who produced the first one.

Stuart
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Aeonium 'Mardi Gras' Variations

Post by edds »

All looking very nice Stuart. My mate and I have this from a number of sources and there are considerable differences. It's very interesting to see you have a similar amount of variation from a single source over 6 years.

The pale one to the left is very distinct.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Dragging this thread back up I thought I'd post some newer photos of Mardi Gras variations. I was watching a video from Surreal Succulents today where they are talking about a lot of different variegated Aeonium.

As Stuart said in another thread, I think a lot of these are variations from other cultivars like Mardi Gras.

My mate and I both love Aeonium and between us we have four different sources of Mardi Gras along with other cultivars.
IMG-20201219-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20201219-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20201219-WA0004.jpg
PXL_20201219_125602426.jpg
My friend also has this one, which looks very similar to the pale one Stuart posted.
IMG-20201219-WA0001.jpg
I also wonder what people think about the last photo compared to these photos of a new type being sold as St. Simon's Violet?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Mardi Gras and Eden
Mardi Gras and Eden
Grabbed a picture of these today in my office. Two 'Mardi Gras' (from the same plant) and an 'Eden'. The 'Eden' is obviously the same type of mutation as 'Mardi Gras' but it seems to have larger and differently shaped leaves. It also seems a lot more vigorous as this plant has already outstripped the two MG which are nearly a year old from cuttings!

Will be interesting to see if the colours are as good or if that is the trade-off for increased vigour!
Ed

BCSS member 53038