Crocks or Paper

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Crocks or Paper

Post by Aiko »

I only use something for my seedlings. Just a layer of pebbles / grit. The same I use to mix with my soil (loam, mostly).

I am used to put my seedlings in a tray of water to water them. As I use loam for my mix, loam has the tendency to turn into a soft smush. If I would take out the pots from the tray of water, there is a risk the loam on the bottom of the pot will wash away along with the excess water. After a few times there will be a high risk of a cave in, and suddenly the entire contents of the pot along with all the seedlings will wash away. Just a layer of pebbles / grit prevents this.

For bigger plants that get a normal watering I usually don't have anything on the bottom, although sometimes still the same layer of pebbles / grit just to be sure.
daniel82
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD

Post by daniel82 »

I'm in the never bothered covering the holes camp too. Never seem to have ever had any issues.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Damp compost for me. My grandad warned of paper harbouring insect lavae.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.